Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Good day everyone;
    I just joined Talk Bass so I hope I'm posting this in the right category. I purchased a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass in May and have enjoyed many wonderful hours on the wonderful instrument. But last week I left my five string at home during a practice and had to tune down but once I returned to standard tuning I noticed a very annoying buzz on the 1st fret of the 1st string. Any ideas what this may be caused by and suggestions to remedy the problem? :confused:

2. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i bought a 92' fender jazz a coupla of months ago and had a similar problem, except i had it on nearly every fret, take it to your local shop, tellem about it, theyll adjust the relief by turning the truss rod, you should probly let them do it

3. Thanks for the help. I'll be taking it to the shop tomorrow. I also think I'll take my 5 string in to make sure its not suffering some the same problem.

4. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Geddy's have a very thin neck from front-to-back, so when you detuned & took tension off the neck, you likely lost some relief, but when you tuned back up, it likely didn't settle back into the exact same position. These necks are very tempramental. I would be leery of even changing string gauges on one without a pro set up to go with it. That thin neck is worth the extra aggravation though, ain't it? :)

5. I have to agree Offbase that the thin neck is worth the extra hassle. I suffered through hand cramps for years playing a MIM Jazz 5 string and to finally have the Geddy is a god send to my small, nowhere near manly, hands.

6. My hands aren't very large either. But I have found the OPPOSITE. I actually fatigue to a much less degree on my baseball-bat neck wishbass than I do on my thin-necked Carvin AC40.

I have to tweak the truss rod on my Carvin about 3-4 times a year. Whilst, my trussrod free wishbass is a ROCK!

hmmmm....go figure