Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Im getting more and more fretbuzz on my bass, this sucks as it was setup only 6months ago! , the buzz is only really bad on the 8th on E string, its there on the B (5 string bass) a bit too, but nowhere near as bad, what could i do to sort this, i dont want to have to raise the action, so is sanding that fret a bit the only option ? :crying:
  2. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Listen to Joshua. The weather changes in 6 months and so will your bass.

I think a wee turn of the truss rod is in order here.

3. hmm, not much in scotland really :p , rainy and cold in the summer, rainy and cold in the winter , if it was the truss rod surely i would be getting buzz over more of the strings

Thanks for the links joshua
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I check the setup about every month. Trust me, 6 months in Scotland is enough to warrant adjustment on most basses.
  5. fair enogh, i didnt think there would be any problems for at least another 6 months, but shall give it a go, once i have turned the truss rod a bit should i leave it in the hardcase for a day or so to let the neck set ?

also, its an ibanez eda 905, so its a pretty thin neck, i spose that doesnt help it!
  6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Nah, I wouldn't bother. Read up a little on how to do it first. Don't just jump in and do it. Fret the string at the first fret and the fret where the neck joins to the body (a capo on the first fret helps here).

Check that there's about a credit card's width between the string and the fret that's half-way between the two frets you're fretting the string at. If there's less, give the truss rod an anti-clockwise turn to increase the relief, if there's more, straighten the neck by turning it clockwise.

Turn no more than a quarter turn at a time and make all adjustments with the bass tuned as you will play it.

Once you've done that, set the intonation and the action and check everything again. I just treat my bass as normal from this point, play it for a bit then return it to its stand, but check everything over again the next day.

Probably doesn't, but I don't know enough about the variables involved.
  7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Now that's really crazy!

Let's say you sanded the 8th fret. Then it would be lower than the others. And whenever you played the 8th fret, you would get buzz on the fret above it. Having a low fret will only give you an additional problem.

Like these other guys said, checking the truss rod is a good idea - but first check your strings. You said the bass was set up 6 months ago. Are these the same strings? They might just be worn out and causing the buzz.

Ibanez has a pretty stiff 3 piece neck and I've never had to adjust mine due to weather - only for string gauge changes or tuning changes. Have you changed either one of those lately?

Even if you need to raise the action a little, it's better than messing up your frets.