Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lordigg33, May 21, 2001.

1. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    anyway to get rid of it?

iggy

2. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Trust rod, bridge saddles or fret job!

3. Flatwounds, Practice

4. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    no no no its not that. i can play fine ;) its the neck. i think its just the model. i read somewhere that this model has bad fret buzz, too bad it was after i got it ;) ;)

iggy

5. What kind of bass lord?
    What kind of neck?

I had a MM with a maple neck and it had more fret noise than any bass I ever owned, even after a bunch of adjustments and string changes.

Is it posible that you pluck real/to hard?

6. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    washburn rb2000, brand new, well kinda got it in december. no im not plucking too hard, look i play fine its not me, its the bass. ive read some reviews of it and they sed theirs had it as well.

iggy

7. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Do you know what kind (The size) of fret wire?

8. lordigg33

lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    nope sorry. how ouwld one find out?

iggy

9. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I dont either but I do know that it varies from manufacturers (maybe more true on guitars).

10. I used to work for a Washburn dealer, and they are full of neck problems. At least the older ones were, this was a couple of years ago. A bump in the fingerboard at both ends, and some shoddy fretwork, meant we were always getting complaints, so many in fact that in the end we ditched them!

11. Oliver Fisher

Oliver Fisher

Apr 9, 2001
    London
    Ive got the same kind of thing on my Washburn AB20. The action is really low on mine, so low in fact its almost inpossible to slap the strings, they just hit the frets. Its a few years old (bought second hand) Ive also noticed the neck ever so slightly bowed. Only by about 1 1/2 millimeters which is probably the problem of bumps on the fret board mentioned above. It doesnt affect play so i aint worried. Its still easily the best ive played in my short time as a bass player (such sweet woody tone) So I wouldnt give it up.

Ollie

12. I bought a stingray5 about three weeks ago and it played fine for the first two weeks.
    I live in a basement so the temp is about 10 degrees cooler than upstairs.
    I went to practice last weekend and everything below the 5th fret on the A,D, and G strings buzzed completely out on the frets.
    Couldn't here any notes!
    Damn!
    So I took a punch and turned the truss rod adjuster and that did the trick, although I would still like the action a little lower.

My concern is will it go back once I take it out of the basement.
    I've never seen a neck change that rapidly and drastically.

I'm considering sending it out to Status and have them install one of their graphite replacement necks.

Anybody have any experience with them?

Guess I should have started my own thread.

C4