1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shughey, Dec 7, 2006.

1. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Epping, NH
    I just recently picked up a Fender Active Jazz Bass Deluxe. I started playing it yesterday for the first time and noticed, when sliding up from fret to fret, a pronounced buzzing.
    I don't know if it stands out a bit because of the new strings or what it is. I've heard this type of buzzing on other basses but I think it maybe more pronounced on mine do to new lighter gauge strings. Can anyone help me out?

2. when was the last time you had it set up properly?

3. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Epping, NH
    i just bought the bass brand new

4. very rarely do new basses sound perfectly setup right out of the box. Take it to your local guitar store and have someone setup the bass.

5. I have a similar problem with a bass I just got shipped from the U.S. to Ireland.
    There is a lot of fret buzz all the way up the E & A strings.
    I'm not too worried though as I was expecting to have to get it setup considering the distance involved.

Take it to a guitar tech & get a pro setup. Just because it's new doesn't mean it is setup properly.

6. especially on a fender, im no knocking fender products, i love my P, J and aerodyne tele. but fender usually gets it set up in a fashion that doesnt take a lot of time and make it playable, but not perfect

7. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Epping, NH
    how much does it generally run for a bass to get setup w/ out new strings or truss rod adjustment. I just want mainly the action set well.

8. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Why are you not interested in a truss rod adjustment if that is what it may need? Good action with no buzz is the result of perfectly level frets, proper relief (truss rod adjustment) and the saddles being set properly. You can adjust the truss rod yourself, just do not go more than 1/4 of a turn at a time as to not break anything. It may require a fret dress, then figure $75.

9. being right out of the box i would doubt a fret dress being needed, if so i'd contact fender, but a simple settup will run you anywhere from 45-70 bones