Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 7, 2002.

1. I've noticed lately that when I'm driving hard on the E-string of my bass I get alot of fret buzz, particularly at the 1st fret (atleast from what I can hear). Since I play with a pick I figure I would want to keep the action (?) fairly low. How do I adjust the string height. Please try to keep the terminology to a minimum as my bass vocabulary is lacking.

2. I don't know your bass at all, but string height adjustment is usually on the bridge (end of the strings on the body). if you look at the saddle (the last piece of the bridge that touches the string, it's round and has a screw going through it with a spring on it) there should be two tiny screws (one on either side of the string, probably a hexagon (allen) head) that you can tighten or loosen to move the saddle closer or farther away from the body. tightening those screws causes the string to be farther away from the fretboard, reducing the chances of it hitting the fret when vibrating and making the buzzing noise.

3. Try playing with a softer touch, don't dig in as hard. Its hard to get your frame of mind into playing softly, but once you do.. you'll never look back and wonder why on earth did you dig in so hard in the first place. ;)

So too, does it buzz on all of them or just the E? try raising just the E slightly. Don't go messing with the others if they are ok.

:D:D

Merls

4. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    check to see if your neck has a slight dip around the middle , [ relief ] , also check to see if your first or second fret isnt worn where the string hits it , that will pull the string too low and buzz on the next one , bear in mind stainless steel strings eat up the neck and frets more than nickel ones :)

5. One more thing you can check if its rattling at the 1st fret, make sure that the string is wound around the tuner correctly, if it doesn't have a string tree and its winding comes off the tuner at the end you may see some rattling or fret buzz.

6. You might want to check your truss rod as well. Here's how:

Look down the bass at the string height. It should be relatively consistent the entire length (although it will be higher closer to the body of the bass, of course). The truss rod is the bar that runs through the neck of the bass, and provides support to the neck. If it looks like the neck of the bass is bowed outward (i.e. the string is further away at the 9-14th frets) the truss rod needs to be tightened. If it looks like it is bowed inward (the strings are closer at the 9-14th frets than elsewhere), the truss rod is too tight and needs to be loosened.

Most basses do have a truss rod. To access it, unscrew the plate that is underneath the strings on the headstock, and you will see a nut that usually accepts a hex wrench. If you don't have that plate, the nut might be located underneath the fretboard where the neck meets the bass (only if it is a bolt-on neck). To adjust, Lefty loosy, Righty tighty, as always. Try to keep as many of the strings on the bass as close to tuned as possible, as the overall tension on the neck is ultimately what decides the action. Play with it a little bit, and see what you like.

Between adjusting the truss rod and slightly adjusting the saddles, you can usually get it right where you want it.

And if nothing helps, your frets may be worn down. You can usually get em replaced, but it is a pretty big hassle.

It's all up to personal preference anyway. Hope this helps.

peace.
    ish

7. send your bass to me, theres no fretbuzz i cant fix.