Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shikee, Jan 9, 2003.

1. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    okay i have searched the forum for my specific problem, but didn't see an exact match. i have a brand new spector ns2000/5, and i am getting a buzz only when depressing the first fret and it is obviously coming from the 2nd fret and i can actually see the string rattling off of it. if i play open it is fine any othrer fret is fine. i have been playing 10 years, but i have never dealt with this and am pretty sure the fret needs to be filed down, but i am have never made such an adjustment and just wanted to know what i need to do this or if i am better off finding someone to do it.
    thanks,
    brian

2. Sounds more like a truss rod adjustment is in order. Find the truss rod adjustment nut and carefully turn it a half turn or so in one direction - see if that helps; if not, return it to the original position and turn it a half turn the other way.

If neither way helps, it's not a truss rod problem. Then, try raising the string height a little.

You may be right about having a high fret, but I bet you don't.

Good Luck,

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

4. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I think you are right. If you're having a problem with the 2 fret buzzing it doesn't have anything to do with relif and the tussrod. Neither the nut if the open string is ppalying OK. I also think you have a high fret. Are all the strings buzzing there or just one single string? Try taking a straight thing that's a little bit longer than 3 frets and see if it rocks on the frets. It shouldn't.

5. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    it is really strong on when depressing the first fret and fades out the higher you go and is gone at the 6th fret, and it buzzes strongest on the b but does buzz on all a little bit.

6. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    i gave it little more than 1/4 turn and it sounds a little better. i will let it set overnight and see how it looks tomorrow. thanks for the help guys.

7. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    thanks again for the advice ... another 1/4 yesterday and we are in business.