Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mael, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Mael

Mar 25, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hey, I have some questions about fret buzz. Right now I seem to get a lot of it when play over the pickups, and less near the bridge. I seem to get it even when pressing right at the fret. Is there anything I can do to reduce it? And how well is fret buzz picked up by the amp? I've been using a crappy little guitar amp until i get a real bass amp, and haven't noticed it getting picked up, but then again, the amp isn't very loud. What about at high volume on a good bass amp?

Thanks for the help!

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, mods move it if you want.)
  2. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    I got rid of my fret buzz by paying for a decent setup...!!... if ur bass is decently setup then small changes in temp should effect it greatly.. u get more fret noise playing closer to the neck because there is less tension thus more movement in the strings.. u will also have some fret buzz at some point but for the most part this will not be pickup but ur pickups.. if it is then ur pickups are on the way out...!!...the type of string dun make a difference...
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    you don't even need to pay for a setup, just find an allen key that will fit the trussrod nut and/or the saddle height screws, and raise the action at the bridge, and maybe fiddle with the trussrod a bit to get a good even action that is easy to play, but doesn't buzz very much.

there are plenty of threads about trussrod adgustments, since it could be tricky.

I love low action, but it buzzes a lot, so I have to fiddle around with it a lot, and I still haven't got it perfect yet, and doubt I ever will.
  4. you're most likely getting fret buzz because your neck is either warped(ou're screwed in this case) the neck being warped is doubtful.... but you need to change the set up of the truss rod because it sounds like you have the neck set almost parallel but a little towards you, or you might have a bridge that is set a little too low to the line of the neck.... you will want to make sure that you're bridge is raised enough to clear the rest of the frets after play a note at the first frett... th fret buzz is a result of the frets farther down lightly touching the string... but when you raise the bridge... make sure its at a comfortablt height so you can comfortably play the upper octave(s)... this might take a little changing of the truss rod and the bridge but you dont need to take it to a tech to get it set up... if you do it yourself youll gain a better understanding of you're own instrument and can change it at will to make it fit your needs.... good luck...