Fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brock385, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    This is on my Squire, by the way.
    What happens is when I fret a note, particularly near the top and bottom of the neck, but not so much near the middle. It buzzes against the frets as I'm taking my finger off. Does this have to do with the truss rod? Or the string height?
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Brock385, A good rule of thumb: If it buzzes at the nut end of the neck, check the relief. If it buzzes at the bridge end, check the bridge height. If it buzzes all over the neck, check the neck angle or "tilt".

Please note that these are general rules of thumb. Any diagnosis that is conducted via internet is to be taken with a grain of salt.

The more info that is included when describing the problem, the more likely you are to get pertinent advice. It's important to point out whether a problem is something that just started or is a long standing prob. Does the problem affect all the strings or just one or more strings? Sometimes the most insignificant seeming bit of info has a big bearing on the diagnosis. :)

The fact that your particular buzz problem only occurs as you lift your finger from the string leads me to believe that your problem may have something to do with technique. There are no set up adjustments that pertain to your particular problem that I'm aware of.

Your problem is very interesting and I would be very interested to know how you resolve it. Please keep us informed.

3. W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    I had some trouble with fuzzing frets ; it was on my ibanez atk , this is a modern bass with high frets . I raised the strings and the problem disappeared but now you have to press harder with your left hand .
    maybe you can try this too ?
  4. Maybe someone can help with this, the 14th fret on my D string and only that fret buzzes badly unless I pick it very lightly, is there anything I can do to fix this myself?