Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzzes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, May 2, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    hi, the first second and 3rd frets on my bass are buzzing and sometimes not actually preducing a note, just a 'kerrr!!'' is this the bridge.. nut? or the neck?>. i do notice that my strings are awfully close to my frets..? so it could be the bridge?..

any suggestions

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Fret buzz in the first few frets usually indicate a need for more relief in the neck.

Less likely would be worn frets or a high fret(s).

Harrell S

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    First 3 frets?

Nut may be cut too deep.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

If the nut is cut too deep it should only affect open strings. When a string is fretted anywhere the nut is pretty much bypassed and can't cause this prob.

Harrell S

5. Your action may be too low. My guess is you should tweek the truss rod a lil' bit, or maybe raise the bridge a lil' bit. :cool:

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    erm, what if i mess the neck completely up while tweeking the truss rod, and my nut cud be cut a bit low.. the strings to dig into it, its only plastic..

7. Listen to Harrell S. This man has more experience doing Setups then most of use will have in our life time!

Fret buzz in the first few frets usually indicates a need for more relief in the neck......... Is absolutley right!

Redhotbassist, follow the instructions for truss rod/relief adjustments HERE.....

If you have any more questions, come back and ask!

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Loosen the truss rod about 1/4 turn...check it...you may need to go another 1/4 or so beyond that even...just do it 1/4 at a time though, then if you go too far, you know how much to turn it back. That'll fix it, I promise.

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England

cheers treena! i think that pretty much helps :bassist:

10. Yes, 1/4 turns back (counter clockwise) but remember, make sure to put a little tension back on the nut clockwise, so any thread slack is taken up and proper tension is maintained on the trussrod. Sometimes slack turns into trussnuts that loosen over time from vibration....

so, turn it back, and then just bring the wrench forward til it meets resistance, and you're set.

11. I love this website!! :D The information here is GOLD!!!!!!! :bassist:

12. Yes! Thanks for the great link, Treena!