Fret buzzing at A, D and G strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Down, May 6, 2002.

1. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    I got just while ago my new bass, and it has done its job really well, but few days ago that horrible buzzing started at A, D and G strings. A is does that on 7th and 8th frets, D on the frets 3-9, and G about from 10 to 16.

I´ve turned the truss rod 3 times to left(counterclockwise), and every time I´ve waited about an hour after I did that. And I also have tried to raise those buzzing strings, but they are alreadyreally high, so it really didn´t help much either.

So, anyone, help?:confused:
  2. have you tried tightening the truss rod??????

my bass had a similar problem not too long ago and i took it to the tech in town and he said my neck had too much bow in it..... so he straightend the neck and it felt better and he raised the saddles... now i must complete where he left off..
  3. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Ok, I´ll go and try it.
    By the way, when messing with truss rod, does it go about like:
    clockwise = more bow
    ocunterclockwise = less bow
  4. lefty loosy righty tighty
  5. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    And it just maked the buzzing worse.
    But, now I´ve again loosened it about 1/4 round
    and it´s back to the normal buzzing.
    Umm, so could it help if I try to raise action of those buzzing strings?

They are already on pretty high, but if I raise them just a bit..

And is there a possibility that I would accidently do any damage to my bass by doing all this?
  6. there are two possibliiteis that i can think of...
    1. being your neck is slightly warped
    2. frets have been worn down....

so take it to you rlocal tech and ask him/her about it...
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On all the basses I've seen, it would be the other way round - so tightening (clockwise) would give you a flatter neck - less relief. Loosening the truss rod would give you more relief, more bow.

I think you do need to be careful as tightening too far can cause problems!
  8. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Its really best to leave major problems to a qualified repair person or bass tech. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that you need to give the wood more time to settle with the truss rod after adjusting (BP 2001, November says to leave it alone overnight and check it in the morning). I'm surprised no one mentioned that fret buzz can be caused by too low action (bridge or nut), neck relief, technique, and by plucking too hard, probably a few other things. the easiest way to aviod fret buzz is to play with a lighter touch.