Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzzing On One string?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, i recently put a new set of strings on well about 2 weeks ago. and my d string is buzzing very loudly, only the D, every other string is fine on the fretboard, except the d, its every fret on the D string and it buzzes, could someone tell me what might be wrong and how to solve it?

:bassist:

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Action is too low on that string?

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Moved to setup.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey sorry for it being in the wrong forum..i wasnt sure where to put it.

How do i change the action for it? that 'One' string.. bridge?.. nut?..
    any advise would be much helpful.

Thanks. :)

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Are the new strings lighter in gage than the set you took off? Did you change The action at all. Is the string buzzing, or does it seem to be a rattle from somewhere on the bass?

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah i think they are lighter than the ones i took off. and also how do i change the 'Action'? on that subject when ever i play my E it hits against my pickups and fuzzes, so should i lower my pickups? or highten my strings?..and yeah it does buzz from the string..

Thanks.

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    "action" is adjusted (raise/lower) at the bridge/saddles using small hex/allen wrench ,dont confuse this with adjusting the "intonation" which is rear of bridge usually with a phillips, could be a number of things causing string buzzing...
    for a small fee your local guitar shop could do a setup for you.
    good-luck...

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ahh i see, thanks man.. is it best to have the strings real high off the fretboard or real close?.. could the buzzing be caused by my string being to low on the fretboard?..

9. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    string "action" is a matter of preference of the player,some like it high-some low, do you like "growl/clanky" sound-go low.do you "dig in" when playing (play hard) have it high,BUT not to have strings so low that they choke out the notes,and not to have the strings so high that playing is unbearable....best i can explain it...lol
    good-luck... :bassist:

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Set up, IMO, is something you need to learn about and understand if you are going to play bass. It is relativly simple and the mechanics of it are pretty easy to understand and administer with a little education. Fnding a knowledgable musician friend is alwas an asset.
    How long have you owned the bass? I am guessing you just got it and changed strings?

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Try this: http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

I got right here. It is the third thread in "setup" That says all newbies read before posting If you mess with the truss rod, and if you put on lighter strings it is almost certain it needs to be adjusted, find someone experienced to give to help. If you break it, repair is costly. If your buddy breaks it the repair is still costly so make sure he knows what he is doing. Good luck...................................if you type "fret buzz" in the search window at the top of this forum, like you should have done, a whole education is there for the discerning reader :rolleyes:

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks i checked that site earlier but it didnt really help me much, i got this in July its a warwick thumb bolt on, ive changed the strings like 4 times.. and this is the only time ive had fret buzzing problems, some people have suggested i see a Pro and get them to adjust the trussrod and stuff.. i play hard fingerstyle, thats just the music i play in my band it has to be hard and chunky.. anyway, its just the D string frets, it may be the saddle for it at the bridge..im just not sure, and i dont want to f*ck with anything, before i get some proper opinions or suggestions on what i should really do.

Cheers..

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Make sure the string is on the way it is supposed to be:ie the saddle isn't twisted or the string slipped somewhere. It is hard to diagnose with random info without the bass in hand.

Good luck, and post the outcome for curiousity's sake :hyper:

14. It's possible it could be a faulty string.

I recently put a new set of strings on my bass, and the .105 E string was bad. Buzzing all the way up and down.

The dealer replaced the string and everything's fine now.

Not saying it is your string, and not setup related - but it's something to consider.

:D

trothwell likes this.
  15. phephron

phephron

May 5, 2004
    I second taking it to a pro and let them do a setup for you. Chances are the entire bass will feel better, and play better for you.
    There are some very skilled folks in this forum that can help you, but there is a difference from getting advice and making it work. The more you tinker, the worse other areas may become, and instead of a $35 job, you have yourself a $150 job.
    I like to tinker a lot. I do a lot of woodwork and so am pretty good with my hands. But, I know that I don't know guitars that well, and am not willing to sacrifice my good guitars to me learning. I am keeping my eye out for some cheap bass in the news papers precisely so that I can get better at setup, but even then I don't know how much I will play with my basses. I think that the best reason for me to know how to do it well, is to be able to talk with the pro about how I want it done.
    I know how to tune my car, but I know that the pro's do it better than I do, so I have them do it, but I sure know when they did not do it right, and they can't BS me. Sorry for beating the horse...

Good luck.. Paul

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, thanks paul, i might consider taking it too a Pro, sorting out the truss rod and adjusting the bass to make it sound better overall i just dont know where to find a pro.. ill have a look around..

Thanks again.

17. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I had once a similiar problem with my A string and actually
    took it to the pro. He laughed me out and tought me how
    to switch strings (with 5 years of playing this was quite embarrasing :p). The problem had never accured to me
    with heavy gauge strings but with lighter ones it seemed
    to be very important that they are put on right. Something
    like this :

[​IMG]

the string makes many turns and turns towards the neck,
    this seems to create the tension required for light gauge strings.

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand and this helps. :D

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Seems like a different problem causing the same situation, but the buzzing has gone now, since i changed my strings and adjusted the bridge saddles, and heighted the nut D/G side a bit and now its stopped buzzing, all i should of done was heightened the nut, Its easy with warwicks just-a-nut.

Thanks for all your advice and knowledge on it all.

19. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I never would've believed it, but I had the same thing happen to me. Except for me, it was the G. After looking at my bass, my luthier suggested that I try just replacing the one string since everything else (setup-wise) looked good. I did that and lo and behold...... he was right. I still have a hard time understanding how this could be possible, but still.... I can't argue with him since it worked. ... Never can tell.....

20. Let's look at some simple physics. The string vibrates which means it moves. If it moves and touches slightly a fret, then a BUZZ occurs.

String height is the culprit, ultimately. But if you LIKE that string height, then you have no alternative but to increase the tension. All strings are NOT equal, even amongst same brand and gauge (you get the occasional "dud"). First determine if it is a dud (try a replacement string, for instance). Also the "feel" of the string can tell you much.

If the strings are too "soft" then increase the gauge slightly (increased gauge = increased tension = tighter vibration)

One really needs to experiment. Grab some pointers from others, try other people's gear, talk about what they've done. And use your noodle.

The quest for the perfect setup is never-ending. Just when you think you've grabbed on to the ultimate feel, you feel compelled to make it a little better.