Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzzzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 4, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    The low E string on my bass is starting to really buzz like crazy.

I've only had it for a few days, and definetly dont want to keep it if it is a problem here to stay.

It is a demo model and the frets are lightly worn, not enough for the note to be flat or anything. The nut has a little bit of wear also. I loosened the string and cleaned the slot in the nut, to see if that was it, didn't do anything.

When slapped, it sounds different than the rest of the strings, I can't really explain it, but it sounds like the string makes contact with all the frets at once, unlike a normal pop with a bright tone.

I have not messed with the action on it yet, but it seems ok. The low E is raised the highest of the rest of the strings though.

This beast has two truss rods, so I don't want to do something stupid like make the rest of them buzz by doing the wrong thing.

Any idea's on how to get rid of it?

Thanks

2. what kind of bass?
    what kind of fretboard?

if its the conklin in your profile you probally want to send John Turner a message.

3. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    It is the GT 7, 7 string Conklin.

I think the fretboard is purple heart, not sure.

4. i was asking because i had a stingray with a maple neck that had the same problem. i put new a thicker gauge of strings on it and it cured most of the problem. have you had it "set up" maybe the shop you got it from will do it free seeing that you just got it. the 2 truss rods can be tricky, or at least in my Rick they can be. try finding member John Turner maybe he will have some tips for you, he seems to be the in house Conklin guy.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Bring it to a guitar tech. See what they say. Sounds like it needs a set-up.