1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret choices

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Nov 22, 2002.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I tried asking about this in the 'Luthier's Corner' forum but since I haven't gotten much response, I'll try it here...

What are the choices and differences in various types of fret wire that I might have my Jbass refretted with? I've seen rounder v. squarer frets and fatter v. smaller.

Any explanation of how each affects playability would be appreciated.

2. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I bought a roll of "Jumbo" fret from Stew.Mac some years ago and I have naturally fretted all the basses I have built (5 fretted) with the same wire.
    I don't even remember what brand, maby it was Dunlop?
    Anyway most modern basses are fitted with "jumbo", the biggest frets. Actually I don't think the size of the frets matter that much on a bass. The string tension on a bass is severe and prevents you from pressing the strings all the way down to the wood anyway. If you have "jumbo" frets on a guitar and play hard you can easily create a fasle note just by pressing the strings to the wood but that just won't happen on a bass.
    I guess this didn't help you very much! If it's a vintage instrument, try to put on the same size of frets it had in the first place, and if it's not put what ever your luthier suggests. As I said the frets don't affect the playability on a bass very much!

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

4. I have a Dingwall bass and they use either mandolin or banjo height/size frets, these are tiny but allow for perfect intonation and it feels different. Very fast
    looks like this
    [​IMG]
    mando frets on the right, banjo on the left
    frank