1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret crowning files

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tedward, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I'm tired of file chatter when I crown frets with an ordinary crowning file, I'm going to invest in a diamond file. Any recommendations?

Tedward

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You get what you pay for; the cheap ones on ebay are junk.

When was the last time you kicked yourself for buying a good tool?

3. Your right about getting what you pay for. I saw those on ebay and wondered about them. Says they load up easy. Is that common with diamond files? Tedward

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Not mine, the hideously expensive ones from Stewmac. I hog material off the frets w/ various files first, though. Chalk helps!

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Chalk?

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Haven't used chalk. Does the dust get into the grain of a rosewood board?

Beeswax on traditional crowning files works o.k. Never been a fan on these files. They seem prone to chatter. I've run a stone through the file teeth in an attempt to kill the vibration. It help a little.

Diamond in 300 grit removes a lot of metal fast. I outfitted an offset Gurian style file with a diamond coated insert. Great over the tongue of an acoustic. Overall I, prefer a three corner file for removing and refining. Extra fine three corner for pesky little scratches before using Micro-Mesh or steel wool.