Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Damage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BazzMonkey, Dec 19, 2000.

1. BazzMonkey

BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    I have some nice strings that sound punchy like hell that were just put on this used bass I bought (Ibanez CT series 5 string), and well I dont like them, they cause some fret damage, What kinda strings should I guess that dont cause much damage and sound punchy/real low end?

2. All you gotta know.

Chris

3. OOPs, EXL165 is 4 string only. Get whatever the 5 string equivalent is, or get a 4 string bass. :D

Chris

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I keep hearing about fret damage. has anyone here actually experienced fret damage?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    DR Sunbeams are great, punchy roundwounds that cause minimal fretwear.

Oddly enough, I've experienced serious fret damage with a guitar, but not with a bass. Must be the composition of the fretwire.

6. Some of the more-used frets on my old Rickenbacker have big dents in them where the strings touch down when fretted. I didn't notice 'til recently when I was checking it over, now that I am looking for that kind of stuff. For a long time I used Stainless Steel Rotosounds on it, so I don't know if the divots are from me or the 16+ years it was alive before I got it in the early 90's. It still plays good, but once you notice that kind of thing, you know, you kinda go "ooh,man......that can't be good".

Nickel D'Addario EXL165's sound great to me anyway. They are consistent as hell and reasonably priced, and they're everwhere. They're like the standard brand at tons of guitar shops. I started using them before I even knew about fret wear anyway, so it was just a bonus that they are nickel and softer, i.e. easier on frets. If you try them, you'll probably like them.

Chris

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Round wounds + string poping = fret damage
    Flat wounds + string poping = short string life

8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I guess that Roundwounds + no string popping = no fret damage.

9. BazzMonkey

BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    My frets are like flattented out beneath the strings...and well to prevent anymore damage I was just wondering what would be the best type of string to still be able to pop/punchy sound ...and well someone Emailed me saying that Elixirs are good for that, this true?

10. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    Any roundwound string you use will eventually cause a bit of fret damage. That's the (low) price you pay for the sound. I say low because a fret dress is relatively cheap from most repairmen. If you have a used instrument that has a bit of fret wear, that's fairly normal and doesn't require fixing unless that fret buzzes all the time, or if you have a high fret.

Flatwounds are not a good alternative if you want to slap, but they will be easier on your frets.

11. Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin

Mar 30, 2005
    i've got my warwick bass for 7 months now and it got some fretwear

12. My old 5 string has had stainless steel strings on it for about 3-5 years now. I can't remember when I started using DRs. But I do have some fretwear. Kinda worries me because it's still relatively new (compared to a 16 year old Ric for example :smug: ) So I'm looking for some nice nickel strings....not looking very hard though. I'm quite happy with my Labella super steps.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not.

As was stated, it not damage, it's normal wear. A vibrating piece of metal stuck up against anything, including a stationary peice of fret wire, will eat against each other. If you leave strings on long enough you can see were the frets eat into the strings just like the strings eat into the frets.

Flats are smoother and slow it down but unless you use tapewound strings, you'll never eliminate it completely.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Are the DR hi-beams lo-riders and fat-beams fret damagers?

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fret wear comes with the territory, guys. Unless you're trying to preserve a vintage bass for resale, don't worry about it. Play the strings that sound and feel good to you and maybe in 5 years you have to get the frets dressed ... big deal :rollno:

16. Don't forget about the divots you wear into the fretboard.

17. MGabeM20

MGabeM20

Aug 30, 2006
    I'm starting to see that my frets are becoming shiny under the strings, I guess this is the start of fret wear.

The definition of the word "fret" says it all

To be worn or eaten away; become corroded.
    To gnaw or wear away; erode.
    To produce a hole or worn spot in; corrode.
    A hole or worn spot made by abrasion or erosion.

And finally...
    To be vexed or troubled; worry.
    Irritation of mind; agitation
    :)

18. like me you wish you had had a fretless bass instead of one that's fretted. but 'no fret' for i just bought a fretless warwick corvette w/actives to complement my fretted warwick thumb b.o. when it arrives i almost expect the corvette to resoundingly complement the thumb w/a ''nice sound fretted - but can you do the electric slide like me?":eyebrow: (now what was it golden boy said about 'divotion'?) (& bassmonkey-'flatteny will get you nowhere.')