Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret dots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hi, I really want to get a neck when I order my bass without fret dots, but I've never had any experience without them. Anybody here ever have a hard time picking up a dot/marker-less neck? I know they'll have the marks on top of the neck, just not on the board. Can't be that hard can it? Just like picking up a lined fretless, no? :eek:

2. Hi there! :)

I went from a dotted fretboard (Ibanez) to an undotted fretboard (Warwick) with no problems at all. You don't need them on the face of the board, its just for show, i thought it'd be a problem too. You'll have no worries, and people will think you really know what your doing!! :D

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks that helps a lot I appreciate it.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think i always looked at the front ones or something cuz when i got my warwick i was all confused for about 10 minutes. Its super easy to overcome though not a problem at all.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I went from fretted, front-dotted to a lined fretless with only side dots. The front dots really make no difference, unless you're trying to show someone something -- my guitar teacher's acoustic has no front dots and he often has to use it, so it gets really annoying when he's trying to show me something.

Front dots = totally aesthetic.

6. Yeah although like Geggy said people think I'm really good to be able to play with out them (which makes me fell better about myself :p) I too have absolutely no problem without any markers on my Aerodyne Jazz, although Govithoy has a good point that if you were ever trying to show someone soemthing it might be a little difficult, but other than that they just look pretty! (And I actually think my bass looks very pretty without them :cool: )

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks for the input everyone. Well so much for the dot-less G&L birdseye neck. I just grabbed frankensteinberger's 75 R.I., I've been looking for an awesome body grain like that for a while. And those inlays!! Ouch. Talk about pulling a complete 180! The L-2000's next on the list my fellow G&L aficionado's.