1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret dots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hi, I really want to get a neck when I order my bass without fret dots, but I've never had any experience without them. Anybody here ever have a hard time picking up a dot/marker-less neck? I know they'll have the marks on top of the neck, just not on the board. Can't be that hard can it? Just like picking up a lined fretless, no? :eek:

2. Hi there! :)

I went from a dotted fretboard (Ibanez) to an undotted fretboard (Warwick) with no problems at all. You don't need them on the face of the board, its just for show, i thought it'd be a problem too. You'll have no worries, and people will think you really know what your doing!! :D

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks that helps a lot I appreciate it.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think i always looked at the front ones or something cuz when i got my warwick i was all confused for about 10 minutes. Its super easy to overcome though not a problem at all.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I went from fretted, front-dotted to a lined fretless with only side dots. The front dots really make no difference, unless you're trying to show someone something -- my guitar teacher's acoustic has no front dots and he often has to use it, so it gets really annoying when he's trying to show me something.

Front dots = totally aesthetic.

6. Yeah although like Geggy said people think I'm really good to be able to play with out them (which makes me fell better about myself :p) I too have absolutely no problem without any markers on my Aerodyne Jazz, although Govithoy has a good point that if you were ever trying to show someone soemthing it might be a little difficult, but other than that they just look pretty! (And I actually think my bass looks very pretty without them :cool: )

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks for the input everyone. Well so much for the dot-less G&L birdseye neck. I just grabbed frankensteinberger's 75 R.I., I've been looking for an awesome body grain like that for a while. And those inlays!! Ouch. Talk about pulling a complete 180! The L-2000's next on the list my fellow G&L aficionado's.