1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Dress?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zolbol, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Hi guys, Just a quick question and I hope I'm in the right section.

What exactly does a fret dress consist of ? I guess its the shaving of the frets to lower and level them?

Is it possible to do this yourself? :help: And how do I know if my bass needs it, or is it more of an upgrade type of thing to make them play smoother?

Bass plays fine as it is but, i spose we always after more butter hey. :D:D:D:D:D

Anyways good day to all and thanks for any replies.

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
  3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Sounds like you want a better set-up, not a fret dress. Fret work won't make it play better, just cleaner without buzzes, a better set-up will make your bass play at it's optimum level when done properly.

4. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Lol - thanks guys - Especially mikey - thanks for googling it for me Lol - Its clear its not a home job one should attempt by oneself. Thats more or less what i needed to know.

And no my bass is set up pretty ok just pondering is all.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the silly question then

5. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Fret dressing can be done at home, but would probably require the purchase of some tools and/or creative skilled use of found items. Practice on a cheap instrument that does not matter is probably wise.

I personally think setup and fret dressing go hand in hand. You can't have a great one with out the other. The end result of both working together is "butter". I do not believe you can get a truly smooth and buttery setup without the frets being in good order.

Here is a tool that I use often to check and see if an instrument I have actually needs fret leveling or not as well as verify that a fret leveling job has been done right. I reach for it a lot and bring it with me when shopping for instruments.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/Fret_Rocker.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1857

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    without the frets being in good order.

I agree, completely!

I just worked on a brand-new AM STD Tele (guitar, sorry...),
    F7 was low, F10 &11 were both high. Unfortunately, 7.25r fingerboard precludes a lot of E string bending w/o sacrificing action...my point being, this was a new, expensive instrument!

A couple of months ago, I did a bunch of work on a very expensive
    boutique instrument, the frets were terrible!

7. am I the only one who thought that the "let me google it for you" link was absolutely amazing, and great comedic relief? is this a new thing? when did I miss these recent shenanigans on TB?

8. Zolbol

Zolbol

Jan 26, 2008
    South Africa
    Thanks people - Yeh after careful consideration i reckon its best left to the pro's hey.. Maybe in time I'll learn the art and become a pro. I am quite handy and like tackling home D.I.Y jobs and wot not and have just defretted my accoustic bass.

But i think this is something else.

Better to watch and learn from someone doing it first than even attempt it myself lol.

:D

+10000

Mikey - you the man Lol - Roflmao..

9. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    use this: http://******.com/

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    OMG, that's hilarious! Talk about filling a niche.

Yesterday, I was giving away something on Freecycle, gave the part #, still had a half dozen, "Will it fit ___?", questions. That url's gonna get a lot of use...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021