1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fret ends sticking out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have a cheap blocked and bound neck that has some shoddy fretwork. Right now there are 3 frets that are sticking out maybe .015" from the binding. I tried using a fret hammer to pound them back in but it didnt do anything, im assuming thats because there is no tang at the binding. Is there any fix for this?

2. Hi.

If You're extra careful and have a steady hand, you might get the desired result by using a flat head punch to bend the end without the tang. Be careful though, too much force and the binding dents/cracks/flies off.

Other than bending the end by pounding it, the: removal -> bending -> re-installing, is the only way I've found out to be an effective remedy. That obviously doesnt' mean that there insn't any ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I would clamp each one in with a curved caul, make sure the fret ends are
    flush against the fingerboard & binding, and wick some thin CA glue in.

Hammering won't work with sprung ends, and will probably make it worse.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Just to clarify, are the frets sticking out the side of the neck (that is, are the fret ends catching your fingers as you slide up and down the guitar neck) or are the frets sticking up toward the bottom of the strings?

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If they stick out more than four hours call your physician.

6. I have a friend who's a tech tech I bring my bass to who actually helped me out with this. He told me that as the wood ages, the weather changes, so forth, the wood contracts and expands, sometimes shrinks. This is normal with any piece of wood. He sanded the fret ends down to the neck quite nicely.

7. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    NYC
    :eek:LMAO