Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret/finger noise lower on better amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Jun 21, 2004.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Is it just my imagination, or do I really hear less fret and finger noise when I'm playing on an upper end combo or rig as opposed to a more "budget" set up?

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Actually in my experience you're going to hear lots more on an upper end rig, because they're designed to reproduce everything - even your mistakes. It takes lots of time and practice to reduce those noises (or just some simple treble cut or older strings) :D

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    +1

The more Hi-fi you get, the more little things you hear. Compressors can take out a lot of extra clack though.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It depends more on the frequency response than on the "quality" of the rig. If you EQ in a lot of boost at about 2 to 4 kHz, you're going to get more noise. Conversely, if you cut that range, you'll get less.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    True, but the frequency response reproduced is generally flatter with higher quality gear - like QSC amps. If you play a Crate combo and then a QSC poweramp, you're going to notice a heck of a lot more finger noise in the QSC because it's actually reproducing the full-range of frequencies.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I know what you're saying, but I can also turn up the 2.5 kHz (or whatever it is) EQ on my Crate practice/"C" rig and make the clack really unbearable, or cut it down to suppress the noise. I can do the same on my BBE/QSC "A" rig, although it overall sounds much better.