Fret/fingerboard cleaning poll!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Lemon oil

59 vote(s)
  2. Bore oil

2 vote(s)
  3. Red oil

1 vote(s)
  4. naptha (ask pk2)

8 vote(s)
  5. Don't clean it

41 vote(s)
  6. I left somehthing out, didn't I?

22 vote(s)
  7. Boiled Linseed Oil

17 vote(s)
  8. I like Carrots?

18 vote(s)
  1. Everyone says something different, and I've heard many conflicting views on how you can mess up your board using so and so.
    What do you think?

Oh ****! I left out boiled lindseed oil! oh well!
  2. You wanted linseed oil, well now you have it. lol I was going to put "your wish is my command" but that has its limits and i don't want it to backfire like last time!

3. Any fretboard except maple.....

You CLEAN the fretboard with Naptha which removes dirt & oil.

You seal and feed the wood with a protective coating of Boiled Linseed Oil. Make sure the fretboard is absolutely clean before applying.
    Boiled Linseed Oil drys into a hard protective surface and will lock down any particles of dirt.
    This is the only way to go, especially with Wenge, as per Warwick owners manual.

COMBUST! Rags with Linseed Oil must be dried outdoors in open-air or put in a metal can filled with water! I've seen Linseed Oil Rags blow up and burst into flames more then once! Many storage sheds and garages have gone up in flames as a result. Use your brain, use caution.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You only listed one cleaner. Now you don't have to ask. :) Rubbing alcohol is a pretty good cleaner that you could have listed. Denatured alcy works fine too. Believe it or not, vodka will clean a sticky neck. Mineral spirits are another option.

There are at least as many different types of oil that could be used. None of them are very effective cleaners.

I like carrots with a honey glaze. :)

5. Believe it or not, I use Melaleuca to clean my whole bass. Best thing I've found.

And no, I don't see the stuff!
  6. flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    I've got a rosewood board,I dip a tooth brush in lighter fluid,(napaitha)brush along the grain,then apply lemon oil liberaly and let it set for at least five min.then wipe it off with a old diaper.when I do this for other people who have never cleaned theirs they can't belive what a difference it makes.also wipeing your strings often like between sets helps a lot with keeping it cleaner.
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    After a rubdown with #0000 synthetic steel wool, I hit my ebony fingerboards with butcher block oil. Hey, if it's safe enough to chop food on, it's got to be OK for my basses!
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Alcohol is for drinking, not cleaning fretboards! It can RUIN some of the finishes used. My Reverend had to go back to Joe Naylor for a re-finish on its maple board because of alcohol use. Don't do it! :eek:

9. You drink rubbing alcohol? Hmm... ok, whatever floats yer boat.;)
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You couldn't use a new, clean one? That's nasty!!!!:D :p
  11. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i go naphtha and lemon oil with an old cotton rag too. naphtha is for the cleaning, the oil is for treating the wood.
  12. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    I'm not a tree hugger or anything but I would certainly not clean anything with naptha. I work in a refinery and up until about 20 years ago everyone washed their hands and tools with what we call naptha or distillate. That was when everybody found out about the cancer and other problems it caused. I'd be leary of using it unless I knew that the wood didn't absorb it especially since you will constantly be holding it. :D
  13. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I use Alembic's Lemon Oil, except on maple boards. If it's good for Alembic...:)
  14. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I use a spray can of Mineral Oil and "Rare Wood Oils" :rolleyes:
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, I am, perhaps, hygenically impaired. I've steered clear from cleaning my rosewood fingerboard for fear that i'd hurt it more than help it. Mine's uncleaned (other than wiped with a dry cloth) for close to 20 years. I see in this thread HOW to care for it, but please tell me more about this unbelieveable difference :) - seriously, are you talking about the appearance of the wood or is it more than that?
  16. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    i use FAST FRET a string and fretboard cleaner
  17. lemon pledge? like the spray on stuff?