1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret Hand Finger Numbness

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Soonerbldr, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I am hoping this is in the right forum...
    So I am doing what your not supposed to do and try to learn some of the basics before getting instruction. So I have been playing along with some songs and I noticed the other night that my index finger was tingling so I quit. The tingling has went away but the top of the pad of my index finger is numb still. Not completely but it feels like when your leg falls asleep...
    I am assuming that others have experienced this, if so does it go away? I am nervous to pick up the bass again until the feeling comes back.

2. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Maybe the technique forum would be better place for this question.

I recommend starting with lighter gauge strings and a pro setup.

3. Yep, sounds like you are attacking your instrument a little too much. Lighter strings or do not press down as much. You do need to get your finger TIPS conditioned to playing. Why finger tip, the tip takes up less room and you get crisp sounds from one note this way, i.e. your finger pad slopes over into part of two notes. Make sure it is your finger tip that is begging for a rest.

Thirty minutes a day right at first should be enough to get your fingers conditioned.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    You are wise to stop immediatly when you experience any pain or discomfort. In the absense of a teacher, here is some clips on L/H technique that is worth checking out.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    also, make sure you avoid the beginner's "death grip" and find the right finger pressure, per Gary's Willis' exercise:
    ww.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHEqQzbGAc

6. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Great guys thannks for the advice. I guess time for lighter strings, a setup and lessons from a pro!