1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DruidsGlass, Apr 7, 2015.

1. DruidsGlass

DruidsGlass

Mar 31, 2015
    Tennessee
    No commercial affiliations.
    Does anyone else have a compulsion about their frets being as in tune as possible? I'm thinking this is a carry over from my primary instrument.

Also related, I can't get the 12th fret on my A string to move up to being in tune (it's consistently 109.4-6 Hhz instead of 110.0 Hz). It looks like the screw on the saddle is about to fall out, but it won't change the pitch. Any advice for solving the issue?

Thanks.

2. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

changing the string gauge should make a difference, a slightly thinner A string wouldn't need to be so far back in the saddle, but then where is your E string saddle?

In theory, your G string is the shortest and the E is the longest,so if your A is maxed out where is the E? Something is wrong here, can yo post a pic?

3. DruidsGlass

DruidsGlass

Mar 31, 2015
    Tennessee
    Can't post a picture yet, but the E is a little bit further from the fretboard than the A.

The A is at the end of the screw that is near the fretboard, not the bridge end.

4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

this pic shows how the saddles should be aligned,the D is the thickness of the D string further back than the G, and so on.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRn3BZ7sRYkGgocMrpoFr0VPb8OEQpjtx2iItdPG5zFv70rtoyj.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Detune the string before trying to move the saddle. If the string tension is holding the saddle in place, you won't be able to move the saddle back further very easily (the way most bridges work, at least). Forward (towards the nut) is easier, but still, just get in the habit of loosening the string and retightening after.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If the A string is still flat, the saddle has to move forward, if it is already at the end of its travel, then you've got a bad string and/or a mispositioned bridge (set too far back).

7. DruidsGlass

DruidsGlass

Mar 31, 2015
    Tennessee
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Are you comparing the fretted note to the open string? Or just assuming that the open string is at 55 hz? That's all that matters is that the open string (or 12th fret harmonic which IS an exact octave if the string is in good shape and you've established proper witness points at both ends) and the fretted note be in tune with each other.

If the 12th fret note is flat still, then you need a longer screw for that saddle. The photo looks pretty normal and your A and E saddles have plenty of room left on the bridge plate- but not enough screw length.

John

9. DruidsGlass

DruidsGlass

Mar 31, 2015
    Tennessee
    The tuner that I use measures pitches to the tenth of a Hz in addition to the normal needle type function. In the event that I need a new screw, should I just go to a hardware store?

Also, I'm measuring the 12th fret against the open string, harmonic, and tuner. Just for an (imaginary?) added layer of security.