Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret job on a composite neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gianni, May 24, 2004.

1. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    As I said in a previous thread, I own a Peavey B-Quad with a modulus grafite neck that has a relief of 0.6 millimeters.
    The neck has no truss rod, but has a tilt adjustment facility.

If I lower the strings for my ideal action, the strings produce a click hitting the last frets, and I get some buzzes only in the higher register.

I would like to reduce that relief and the only solution I see is a proper levelling of the fingerboard in the upper register after pulling away the frets.

The fretboard is made of phenolic resin.

Have you some advices?

Should the lutier be awared of possible problems?

Is there any difference in the fret job on wood fretboard and such a resin?

Thank you for your answers.

Ciao
    Gianni

2. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hmmm, this doesn't sound like a very good Idea to me. I think you'd be likely to ruin your neck. Usually a fret job involves filing all the frets, not just the ones at the end. I realize you're trying to lower that end of the fingerboard so you can lower you're action. But I think it'll be very diffcult to remove the frets and then lower them a small fraction of an inch.

That's just my opinion, maybe someone else has better advice.

3. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Thank you bass, I was thinking to operate to almost all the frets in the second octave.
    Ciao
    Gianni