Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Jobs on Modulus basses?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pickles, Apr 20, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Has anyone ever had a fret dressing on a no-trussrod Modulus? How do they do it, since you can't adjust the truss rod to flat to plane it out?

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I just read from another forum that this is normally taken care of by the warranty - if you're the original owner, you should be able to send it back to them for them to work on it, free! :)
    The guys at modulus defretted his bass, planed the fretboard, refretted it, dressed the frets and setup the bass... talk about customer service!

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    And if I'm not the original owner?

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Then you are screwed, cause they do NOT take good care of basses that are owned by other people. No options or anything, I'd find a good luthier.

Wasn't there just a thread about Mike Lull's work?

5. Yeah Go check it out.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    But the question stands ... the relief on a modulus neck has to be carved into the fret surfaces ... how could you do that without loading it onto a CNC mill?! Normally to do a fret job you take the strings off, adjust the neck to flat with the truss rod, then plane the frets with a long sanding block.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nobody has any ideas?

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Why don't you just give the guys there a call - no harm trying.

If you know the previous owner, you could ask him to send it in for you or something.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's try this in our Setup forum. Perhaps one of our Setup/Repair gurus has either done this, or knows somebody who has.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Basically, I'd bolt the neck to a piece of scrap hardwood, clamp the hardwood to the workbench, then use wedge-shaped pieces of wood underneath the neck near the headstock. Tap the wedges in or out a little to adjust the curve of the neck.

In order to keep from scratching the neck, use two pieces of plain flat wood with some door shims sandwiched between them. That way, when moving the shims - the "wedges" - in or out, they aren't rubbing against the neck.

You always use two door shims at a time, stacked on top of each other, facing opposite directions, so that the surface remains level. See the illustration below.

Door shims are normally used when installing a door frame in a house to adjust the frame to be perfectly level and square. You can get them at any hardware store - Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. If they sell doors, they'll have the shims also.

You could probably have it done by one of the places that works on old Steinbergers (they had no truss rod).

......from www.steinbergerworld.com , under "parts and repairs".........

www.peekamoose.com
    www.glaserinstruments.com
    www.crackerboxmusic.com
    www.langleyguitars.com

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thanks a lot bruce! Sounds pretty scary.

I'm going to write modulus and see what they say (and if they can reccomend someone closer to me).