1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Leveling Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kris pung, Oct 28, 2006.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I’m going to attempt to do my own fret leveling; I’ve purchased a 16” radius block and an assortment of fretting files. So my question is what gauge or gauges of sandpaper should I use? Any other advice is more then welcome too.

Thanks,
    Kris

2. reddogbass

reddogbass

Aug 17, 2006
    There is certainly a time when fret work is necessary, or even a complete refret job. Don't take this the wrong way, but your question about sandpaper/file grades suggests you may not have done enough research of the the problem.

Make absolutely certain the frets not being level are from fret wear, and not from other problems associated with the neck. Yes- you can temporarily compensate a bowed, bent, or twisted neck with a fret leveling- it ain't the right fix. You just might have to straighten up the neck, level the fingerboard, and then refret.

Here's a couple good resources for info-
    www.frettech.com
    www.stewmac.com

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The best advice that I can offer is that you not attempt your first fret job on your player bass.

Find a beater guitar or bass and practice on it. Without direct supervision, the odds are stacked heavily against a complete success.

Good luck.