1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret leveling + crowning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LkS, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    I get that, and believe me, nothing was perfect during the setup for the job. It's all done now, but setting up the neck before the leveling was a bit of a disappointment. Couldn't get it perfectly flat with the notched straight edge - up to the 12th fret it was flat, above the 12th was a little bit of a gap up to the last fret. And then I found out that the bass side was twisted - rest of the neck "flat", bass side had a back bow.

I was so disappointed, I went with the job anyway (famous last words right?). I guess that's what you get with these Indo-made instruments.

Anyway it's all said and done now, strings are on, I'm slowly adjusting the truss rod - taking my time on this to not warp the neck or anything. The nut will be cut down a little bit and I'll see where it'll end up.

Right now I feel ... indifferent to the whole experience (if that makes any sense). I still hope it turns out better than it was before, but I have a feeling it won't.
    There's still things to be done - will report later.

peter-j likes this.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    those are the problems the leveling is supposed to correct! you'd adjust to where the whole thing was as close to flat overall as you could get it, meaning some stuff would be "above the line", some below.

the whole point of the fret leveling is to make all those flaws go away and have the fret tops be perfectly flat and even all the way down on both sides.

to that end, i'd use a regular straightedge on the fret tops, not the notched one; you're not removing the frets and sanding the wood, so the fret tops are what actually matter here.
    don't bother with any of that mess; adjust the rod to where it needs to be now and get on with your day. (the whole "adjust the rod slowly over days" thing is just some sort of internet myth, people who actually do that for a living never wait at all.)

peter-j and Technicality like this.
  3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It's not an internet myth. It existed long before usenet was a twinkle in Ellis or Truscott's eye.

Still wrong. Always was.

4. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    Okay ... so, a little update and closure on this whole thing. I was able to set the neck relief where I wanted it to be. Next thing was to file the nut down since it was high. Of course I filed the E-string way too low. Bought a new nut (two ... to be sure). Fit in perfectly. Filed it down perfectly and now .. it plays good, better than before.

peter-j and 1stnamebassist like this.
  5. I've been following your post and I'm glad it worked out well for you. You learned a new skill that may save you some money in the future as well! Were you able to get the action set up as low as you wanted with no issues?

peter-j likes this.
  6. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    Yup, it plays really nice now. Better than before.

peter-j and 1stnamebassist like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021