Fret Leveling Question On How Much Material Can Be Removed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Meatrus, May 21, 2012.

1. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Ok, this was a silly mistake I know, especially as its my fourth build. I didnt pay enough attention when sanding the radius into my fingerboard and managed to get a dip in the middle at around the 7th fret to the 3rd or so. As its a thin board with markers already installed there didnt seem enough material to correct it completely with sanding. But I managed to get it down from about 0.7mm to about 0.4, which is where it stands now.

The question is, when I come to leveling will this be a big problem? Is 0.4mm from the higher frets too much to lose before crowning? I'm using Stew Macs highest wire (1.3mm crown).

Let me know what you think!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    for it to play properly, you will have to level until all the frets have been touched and then recrown, your frets will be a bit lower than planned, but it will still be quite usable as long as you do a proper job on the crown and finish. You should be fine with doing a complete level.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Great, I was hoping so! Thank you.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021