Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret light markers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, May 24, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, I've seen some bassist that have fret lights insted of dots or blocks. I was wondering if you have to get them custom or if some bass companies actually make basses with fret lights in them. I did a search already to and didn't find anything.

Thanks Alot!

Rob

2. A few higher-end companies (like Alembic) have a 'factory' installed option, but they cost a fortune! I never really could figure out the need for them. Once you are comfortable with your instrument, there should be no need to rely on those 'dot's, whether they are lit or not! Practice and save your money :bassist:

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I was just wondering i saw some videos of the doobie brothers and their bassist had fret lights and i thought it was neat :)

4. They are cool! But.... big dollars!!!!!

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Everybody knows that blue LEDs have better tone.

6. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    no way...red have the best tone...hands down

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

Yeah. Skylark plays Alembics.

9. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    My Status KingBass has them. I got them because I like the look, not because I need them. Green is my favorite color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004

lol I like the sound the retro red gives. It smooth, and subtle. If I want to get a little crazy I'll mix red, blue, green, and maybe some purple...

11. Now that was just uncalled for, :p lol. I almost just had a heart attack! lol

I think the blue led's defanently give off the best tone.

12. There is a fellow in San Diego who makes "Georgeboards" lap steels. He uses fiber optics to do all sorts of things with the fretboard including a hula dancer who actually dances in time with the music. The only problem of course is the guitarist is the only one who can see the fretboard on a steel guitar. Maybe some one will custom make a bass that plays a video of Tina Turner from the bad old days dancing in rhythm with the song. Now that would be worth seeing.

13. snaynay

snaynay

Nov 6, 2007
    Come on, everyone knows pink dots hold beautiful sustain. Green improves the grunt in gain distortion to. Bet you didn't know that!

14. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I always thought they were kind of corny. Not my thing at all.

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
  16. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I've seen a couple versions available. Fretlord offers a couple less expensive/less invasive options. FretFX is similar.

I have no experience with either so I cannot comment an quality.

17. I hear ya there. Plus, mother of pearl and abalone inlays tend to have some reflective properties under low lighting situations. I don't play in pitch black environments, so LEDs aren't exactly a necessity, although I admit the big ones on the fingerboard look cool!

18. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    You used to be able to get "holodots" they were little lumenisent decals they went over the original dots, they picked up light and refected it, they were cheap and worked awsome and were 100% removable, but it seems that the guys making them dissapeared.

19. well the status B2 i am currently waiting on is getting red LED's up the side markers (as much as illuminated roman numerals would be the dogs, i see this as a subtle detail), status graphite as mentioned before has these done in house and cost about £400/$800 to the price of the bass, but as its manufacturer installed (or at least on behalf of as some companies send necks to simms for mods or are licenced to use simms method....warwick for example).

i also have a red LED relay by fret FX on my jaguar bass. these are really easy to install but take a steady hand and some pre install thinking. they dont get in the way of your thumb and are cheap and easy to remove if needed they also add that nice vintage tone due to being red.

20. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I'm probably going to have red SimS custom LEDs installed on my ABII this summer. I'm really pumped. About $600 including shipping to have front and side dots installed. On a $4,000 instrument, it's worth it.