Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret lines (stickers?) for unlined fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, Jan 26, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm looking into purchasing a fretless bass but the one I have in mind is unlined which scares me. Do any of you know if I could feasibly make my own lines with stickers or something?

(sorry if wrong forum)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stickers would disrupt the playability. What you could do it put little tiny somethings on the Side of the fretboard.

3. Might I ask what bass? I want a cheap unlined fretless, but cheap ones usually seem to come with lines.

4. I agree...

you could try just cutting thin strips of PVC tape and putting it along the top edge of your fingerboard. Perhaps even having it wrap around slightly.

However, don't be scared of an unlined fretless...if there are any dots at all along the edge, you can imagine where the positions are and then rely on your ears for the rest.

Have you tried the bass yet? You should try it and see if you can play semi-passible scales on it. If you can...you'll be fine...just takes practice.

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    A discontinued Hohner B2A fretless on ebay. Don't outbid me!

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Don't be afraid of lines. They're a great help. It's alot better to play with lines than to sit there for hours with your bass plugged into a tuner because you can't play in tune.

What i did for upright was took a piece of tape, cut it in lengths and put it where the frets would be, but on the side of the neck. It helped tons.

-Mark

P.S: if you happen to loose the bid, PM me. I've got a fretless (lined) i'd like to try to sell.

7. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Any tips / formulas for getting the exact distance between the lines?

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    1. Make sure the bass is intonated and set up. Take it to a store if need be.
    2. Plug into a tuner, and tune all the open strings perfectly.
    3. Once they're tuned perfect, play the low F, then mark it, then the F# etc etc...

That's exactly what I did while learning upright bass.

-Mark

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm kinda making me miss my Hohner B2ADB... Had a really nice neck.

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Just ignore me :D I'm an 80s bass whore. (check the sig)