Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret marker on first fret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevjmyers, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    I have always had a bass where the markers started on the 3rd fret. Anyway, I'm considering purchasing a Geddy Lee Jazz bass where of course there is a fret marker on the first fret. Have any of you experienced any sort of fretboard shock making the transition? I know that after a while I will get used to the new marker, but after so many years without it on the first fret I wonder if there will be any initial difference. It's just that once you get used to something so long, any subtle difference is enormous (for me anyway).

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    It actually makes more sense since it mimics the 12th fret better, its a non-issue IMO and I doubt Geddy needs it either.

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Whoa, weird. You'd think if they insist on doing the first, they'd have the common sense to do the 13th as well.

Now I'm freakin' out...

4. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Strange isn't it...?

LOL! I'm sure Geddy made the transition nicely. :smug:

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I don't think you'll notice any difference at all. My kubicki has no face dots and I have no problem with it, then theres uprights with no dots at all, and those don't take much adapting to either. You should be fine, and plus the geddy is a whicked bass. :smug:

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    This usually the case with block inlays, as it just looks much better (more symmetrical and evenly spaced).

7. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Kev,
    I've had mine for about a month and no problems straight out of the gate...

8. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    its painted right? if it bothers you you could just sand it off

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have basses with no inlays, a Geddy Lee, a bass with blocks and no inlay on the first fret, and basses with dots in both configuration.

None of them bother me.

Just play it.

10. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I just sold my Geddy after two years, and I never noticed until you mention it. Heck, I use the top markers, anyway.

Andrew

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You should look at the side dots instead of the top dots. Less neck strain. :p

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The side dots matter more than the fretboard markers.

No, there's no adjustment needed at all.

13. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    hmmmmm..meditate on this i will ...... :D

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I played a Geddy almost every monday for just under a year, and it never even dawned on me that there was a marker at the first fret. Is there actually a dot there, or is just the face markers?

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Govi: Both.

16. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Thanks everybody! The streamlined neck and the double truss rods are just too appealing and I seriously doubt I'll care about the first fret marker. True the side dots are more important. Still why not the other marker on the thirteenth fret?

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Double truss rods...on a geddy?

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Super-skinny neck.

19. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Duh...my mistake. I was thinking about another bass and the Geddy at the same time. The stock Badass is what I was referring to.