Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Markers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stu L., Apr 2, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hello all. This is my first post, so please be gentle. I recently saw a post where someone had suggested light up fret markers for a bass. Where do you get these? How hard are they to install? Has anyone else seen a bass wih LED lights on the side of the neck? I want to set up a cool bass, so suggest away.

2. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
  3. amfan

amfan

Apr 27, 2001
    No
    i belive alembic also has basses that you can have LEDs on

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks, but has anyone heard of replacing the fret dots on top of the board? It's just hollow with out the dot. Any suggestions?

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm sorry, any other kinds of lighting (glow dots) or anything. The Sims is cool, but too much $
    Stu

6. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Yep, the LEDs have to be wired and its a lot of work (read:bux). Maybe someone makes fluorescent plastic to replace the side dots? I doubt the results of that would be satisfactory anyway. No, the only thing that would really work requires a power source=>wires=>lots of routing (read: bux).
    Sorry, I know there's no joy in that.

elwood

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Oh well, thanks alot for the input.
    Better luck next time for me :)

8. Fender's Danny Gatton Telecaster has side markers made of some material that will glow in dim light.

Perhaps you can get something similar installed on your instrument's neck?

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I just sent my Lakland 55-94 in for Sims LEDs to be installed and it's not as expensive as you think. I'm having the front and side done for $660.00. They now have a US shop in Tennesee. Takes em about 4 days plus shipping time to and from. Check out the sims link up above. I'll post some pictures when I get it back. I also had an Alembic with side only LEDs and it's a $870.00 option for side only. Check out Sims Custom.

10. There are several ways of replacing or just enhancing the side dots of your neck. If all you have is little depressions, you can get a tire stick from an auto supply store in white or yellow. This is a heavy, solid crayon type of thing used to write on tires. Just wipe the pointed end over the hole and it will fill with the best looking dot you can imagine. Then just wipe down the surrounding area with a rag and you're done. You can fill the dot with a small piece of plastic from a plastic cocktail toothpick. You can get colored ones from the grocery store. With a razor, slice off a piece the right size and place it in the hole with super glue. After it sets, just lightly sand (with 600 grit paper) and you're done. You can also use tiny fake diamonds as inlays - get them from craft stores like Michaels. Glue them in like the toothpicks. If the dots are larger, you can get colored crochet needles in different sizes that would work. If you want an inlaid look you can use a contrasting colored paint to the neck color. Put a drop in the hole, let it dry, then fill the hole with super glue. It will look totally filled. There are probably about a dozen more ways but that's all I've got fer now.

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I have not tried what I'm about to suggest but it may have possibilities.

There are some fishing lure manufacturers that offer glow in the dark lures that use a material that glows unbelievably bright for up to 20 hours. The material is charged with a camera flash attatchment. I'm sure the glow material must be available somewhere.

I did a very quick search on dogpile using the search phrase "glow in the dark". There is some info out there but it would take a bit of research to find it.

maybe a possibility?

Pkr2