1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fret marks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, May 13, 2001.

1. Hey everyone
    I just cleaned the strings on my old Squire Bronco bass, and when I put them back on, I noticed that there were marks on them where they lined up with the frets. I got the bass almost two years ago, and never changed them, I just soak them in rubbing alcohol every now and then. Do these marks just mean my strings are really old, do I have to finally break down and buy a new set? Thanks

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If they sound OK, keep them until they break.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Personally, I think two years is too long to keep a set of strings on a bass, even flatwounds (which you generally keep on longer than roundwounds), but that's just me. I think getting a new set couldn't hurt your situation any. My advice is to bite the bullet and get a new set. If you don't want to spend loads o' cash, you can get some good deals at www.juststrings.com.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ... or you could avoid the problem entirely and just go fretless. :D

5. I did that, but I still have my old bass, for when I don't feel like walking all the way to my other one. Wow, I'm lazy.