Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret marks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, May 13, 2001.

1. Hey everyone
    I just cleaned the strings on my old Squire Bronco bass, and when I put them back on, I noticed that there were marks on them where they lined up with the frets. I got the bass almost two years ago, and never changed them, I just soak them in rubbing alcohol every now and then. Do these marks just mean my strings are really old, do I have to finally break down and buy a new set? Thanks

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If they sound OK, keep them until they break.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Personally, I think two years is too long to keep a set of strings on a bass, even flatwounds (which you generally keep on longer than roundwounds), but that's just me. I think getting a new set couldn't hurt your situation any. My advice is to bite the bullet and get a new set. If you don't want to spend loads o' cash, you can get some good deals at www.juststrings.com.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ... or you could avoid the problem entirely and just go fretless. :D

5. I did that, but I still have my old bass, for when I don't feel like walking all the way to my other one. Wow, I'm lazy.