Fret no more

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DiegoMcgee, Feb 16, 2002.

1. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    I rescently met a fellow Guild pilot player.
    When I asked his set-up, it was sooped up
    silmilar to mine.
    Here's the kicker, He has a jazz gig, so one
    day a week he takes out his active EMG's and
    replaces them with Bartoloni's and removes
    the fretted neck and replaces it with a
    fretless neck.
    This seems to me like a viable option to buying
    a fretless. Every bassist I know says they would
    love a fretless but can't spend money.This may
    be a cheaper option.
    jim obrien
  2. I suppose that the constant swapping is POSSIBLE but geez what a waste of time just to redo the setup with each neck.

However, if you are thinking of doing the same thing, I would recommend the installation of steel threaded inserts to the necks to make the swap easier. By using the inserts and machine screws instead of just wood screws in the neck, you'll extended the life of the holes practically indefinitely. I also think that necks done this way have a better coupling with the body.
  3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    that sound like a pain in the arse, but a cheap pain in the arse:D :p :D ;)
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No, thank you!
    Either you play fretted or fretless, or, as I prefer, change within the gig. (Very hard if you have to change necks and pup's)
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    True. It wouldn't take very many times of removing and replacing the screws before the wood wouldn't bite anymore. But that is only the tip of the iceberg.

First of all you still have to buy two necks, so you're already half way there as far as the cost of another bass. Secondly, every time you relieve tension on the strings and re-tension them, you compromise the life of them. You are going to use strings over time doing this. Not to mention the additional wear and tear on all the other hardware. Basses are not designed to go through a complete setup once a week.

I would imagine it wouldn't take long to realize that you would be much better off buying two basses.