1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fret noise bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lukas, Dec 27, 2004.

1. lukas

lukas

Dec 27, 2004
    yo! I just got a new bass and i'm really stoked about learning how to play. I have played an acoustic guitar for a long long time so I am not totally lost, but I have 2 major questions:

-I am getting alot of noise from strings hitting the frets if I pluck a string too hard. the same buzz you would get if you were playing an acoustic 6 string and you werent holding down the string hard enough or close enough to the fret. I realize the strings seem to have more slack on the bass as apposed to the guitar, and since the noise doesnt communicate through the speakers, I am not sure if it is even a problem. is it?

-my second question has to do with my sound system hardware. I have heard that a bass amp and a guitar amp are different, and when you play a bass on a guitar amp you are much more likely to blow it. The only amp I use is my sound system amp and I wonder if that will also be likely to blow? I plug my guitar directly into the mixer, which plugs into the amp, which plugs into the speakers. It is a 1200 watt amp and two 600 watt speakers. am I likely to blow the system with that combination, and should I plug my guitar into a bass amp instead? Any insight would be good :D :bassist: :D

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well, this isn't really GI type of stuff, let's go to Misc........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

3. Some music fret noise is just like more distortion or overdrive.

Think Geddy Lee now. Or heavy music. But for jazz, and softer stuf...not so much.