Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Drei, May 18, 2004.

1. Drei

Drei

May 11, 2004
    I've had an Ibanez GSR-200 for about a year and a half now, and whenever i play, i can hear every note that i fret with the left hand make a little buzzy twang when i fret it. i've tried adjusting the bridge height, the action, i've changed to flatwounds, and tried fretting more lightly with the left hand, none of which have solved my problem (I know the best solution would be to just get a better bass, but i lack the finances).

One of my friends suggested that i get the frets ground down because they are worn. I was just wondering if this seems to be the correct thing to do, and/or if there are other things that could be causing this noise.

2. This isn't unusual...

There likely isn't anything wrong with your bass. If the action is like you desire and the neck is straight, even worn frets won't cause what you've described. Essentially, it's a technique issue. I would guess that you are fretting the notes well behind the fret and this allows more of the string's vibration to come in contact with the fret. Try working on fretting the note right behind the fret, this will help. The other thing to remember is that although you can hear these little zzzz's unamplified, they likely aren't getting out of the amp. And that's where it counts anyway.