Fret noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by count_funkula, Oct 11, 2002.

1. I am having a problem with my left hand technique. Whenever I lift my finger off of the string I get a real quick buzz sound where the string vibrates against the fret for a fraction of a second. I have tried releasing the pressure on the string faster but it doesn't solve the problem. It's not really bad but I can notice it. I dont have that problem with my P-bass, just my active Lakland.
  2. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Is the action very low?
  3. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Try muting the string with your right hand finger before you change fret. I've had that habit since my crappy beginner's bass started acting up and I, because I was young and didn't know a whole lot about action, could'nt fix it.
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Sounds to me like you are fretting the string too far behind the fret. You should usually fret the string almost on top of the fret. You will get better intonation and as soon as you lift your finger The string is off the fret and your finger is still on the string to mute it. Try it. Hope this helps.
  5. I hear what your saying, I'm relatively new to bass and have experienced some of the same problems. I believe you will get quicker with the release of your finger (LH) so that the vibrating string will clear the fret quicker. Also precise coordination of the plucking finger and the left hand fretting fingers can help. As the plucking finger is located on the string it is about to activate, it will mute the string for a microsecond, this is the time you can move your fretting finger without buzz. This can also improve the strength and consistancy of the attack. hope that helps
  6. You should try placing your left finger as close to the fret as possibal, and see if that does not work in reducing or even getting rid of you fret noise. The same thing happened to me, and don't forget to pratice. Practice helps with everything.
  7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree with all the above, but also want to say that i LIKE fret noise. It's like pepper, spicing up the sound so that you know it's a real bass. Of course I don't want tons of it, but when it is there in the mix it can add a bit of sparkle to the track. . . . A good fret job and setup as well as the great tips above should help reduce it to a managable level.
  8. totaln00b

totaln00b Guest

Sep 24, 2002
    i have the same problem but with my pbass. i feel like throwing it out of the window. ill just have to put the action a little higher
  9. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    CF, I am wondering what you determined to be the cause of your fret buzz:confused: