1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Orientation - or Which way do they go?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Nov 22, 2006.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I got my fretwire from Stewmac today and noticed that the tang doesn't fall in the middle. Does the side with more overlap go towards the bridge or the nut? I'm sure this is so the string hits where you're installing the Tang?? So least overhang towards bridge???

2. reddogbass

reddogbass

Aug 17, 2006
    I've "pounded" in a few frets over the years, and this is a new one. If the tang isn't directly under the crown, it makes the argument for cutting slot positon exact, based on scale length worthless.

I'd get ahold of Stew-Mac. Maybe they had a bad batch?

3. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Wow that doesnt sound right to me, I buy all my wire from LMI so it may be a Stewmac thing but Ive never heard of the tang not being centered. I think I would contact them about it.

4. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    after looking more closely it appears that whatever they use to cut the pieces into 2ft long sections actually just nips the edge off of one side. So if you look at the side it looks off, but all the way down the fret the tang is in the center.......whew!!