Fret popping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DenverNewbie, Mar 4, 2001.

1. DenverNewbie

Mar 4, 2001
    New player here, crossing over from guitar. I Have a question about when finger picking. When I pluck the string (especially the E) it clicks against the frets at the high end of the board. The note rings clear, no buzzing, so it isn't an action problem. I think my technique is wrong, because I push the string down when plucking. Any suggestions to keep the strings from clicking would be appreciated.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Some possible solutions to your problem:

* Raise the action
    * Use a tighter string (different brand and/or higher gauge)
    * Play with a lighter touch (crank the amp instead)
    * Pluck the string by pulling it "sideways" instead of pushing it "downwards"

Hope this helps. Welcome to TalkBass! :)
  3. Welcome to the club.....
    By the way, Oysterman covered it.........
  4. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    It seems like you haven't grasped the "pull through" technique yet. The idea is to pull the string back and release it, not striking it like a piano hammer; that's what creates the fret clicking. Try playing a note without actually lifting your finger.

I hope that helped.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you had your profile filled in I might be able to help. Which make/model bass are you referring to?
  6. DenverNewbie

Mar 4, 2001
    Thanks guys. The "pull through" seems to be helping quite a bit. I guess because a guitar's strings are so much closer together I have a habit of picking that glides across the top of the strings. That ain't workin' with bass. Experimented a little and found that I can get my fingers BETWEEN the strings. Big difference.
    I'll also try changing the strings. Just bought a MiM Precision and it still has the crap strings on it. I usually buy a new set when I buy a guitar, but I'm protesting the price of bass strings.....yeah, that'll do some good. I wonder if I will get a free jar of vaseline with them???
    Anyway, thanks for the help.
  7. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Hey hey, bass strings may cost more, but they last much longer. :)
  8. Unless you're the guitarist in my band...or...the other guy in my band that owns guitars, since he plays mostly drums now. :p
    But anyway, he hasn't changed ANY of the strings on either of his guitars since 2 years ago, which is pretty much when he started playing quite seriously.
    His reason? "I can't be buggered. It's so boring."
    Gee...ya think? :D:p

No, wait, I take that back. I actually tend to enjoy changing my strings. I look forward to playing with a fresh, new set of strings that feel so...smooth...:D
  9. I'm the complete opposite. I love the warmth I get from "dead" strings. They ain't dead! They're "mature"! My old P had the same set of strings on it for 8 years, and I still have them in my case for emergency purposes.

Maybe its because I use flatwounds exclusively. Who knows.

10. Well, I guess it can basically be deduced from my signature that I enjoy restringing my bass...:D:p