1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret Preferences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, May 29, 2011.

1. Tall and Skinny

14 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Wide and Low

36 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Tiny

80 vote(s)
    41.5%
  4. Jumbo

63 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. What kind of fret size do you personally like best?

I'm pretty sure I want my next bass to have really tiny frets. I'm not exactly sure what size the ones I currently have on my SX are, but I think they're a little big for me.

So, out of curiosity, I ask what are your favorite kind of frets and why? (Please don't simply say what size you like, explain what you like about it)

2. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Vintage Fender/modern Rickenbacker frets. Pretty small, but not banjo frets or anything like that.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vintage to banjo for me. :) If I ever buy another fender it'll have vintage frets like the Sting model.

4. I know I want really short frets, but I don't know if I'd prefer wide or skinny frets. I'm thinking something like medium/medium frets would be perfect. (.84" wide, .39" high)

5. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    Interesting question! I voted wide and low, since my main axe started with big frets which I have filed down over the years as the strings wore grooves in them. The feel and tone is really nice on this bass. On the other hand, I have a bass from the same maker with jumbo frets made out of a metal so hard it eats strings! These have not worn down over the years much at all. I have leveled and dressed them very minimally once since 1990 or so. I still use this bass for slapping and soloing. Crap I am old...

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Where's the no frets option?

7. Oh right, should have made a "none/carrots" option. Silly me.

8. Heck, I've been playing bass seriously for 35 years and I've never even paid atttention or even thought about fret size. And with all the basses I've played, I'm sure I have gone through many different kinds of frets (have about 20 basses now) and I really don't notice much of a difference. Granted most of my basses feel different from one another, but I've learned to be adaptable, so really for me fret size is a non issue. I have no preference.

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Tiny aka Vintage frets.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i couldn't vote since there's not one out of the four choices for me. basically 6230 (vintage fender size) is what i prefer (.080 x .043) which are somewhat small (narrow and not very tall) but i wouldn't call them tiny.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm with JohnK10 on this one. I prefer them narrow. When I started playing bass I was told to go right up to the fretwire to get the clearest tone. With larger frets, its buzz city!

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I think that is what he is referring to with the descriptor of tiny.

13. Yeah, I'd say tiny is anything smaller than, say, .090" x .050".

14. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't always play fretted, but when I do, I prefer to use jumbo frets. Usually 6105.

15. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Narrow, not tall.

16. None at all. Hey. That rhymes with the post above me.
    I actually prefer not even having fret lines. Much cleaner look.

17. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    +1 =P

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I also voted tiny. I love the vintage frets on my '62 reissue basses. I find them a bit easier to play than larger frets.

Interesting that the two extremes (jumbo and tiny) are currently tied and winning.

19. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    +200000

20. Before I bothered thinking about it, my basses all had jumbo or medium/jumbo frets. It seems pretty standard among larger companies, like my Warwick and G&L. But after I laid hands on some older instruments, especially an old 70s Mustang with pretty tiny frets, the smoothness of transitions and slides as well as the clarity and ease of chords makes them the perfect choice for me. I've never tried banjo or mandolin frets, but I would be interested to, though I've heard they have the potential to wear out rather soon with heavy use.