1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Aug 5, 2012.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    I recently purchased a Squier Bronco Bass. The problem I have noticed is that when pressing hard on a on a fret, the note rings sharp. If I alternate hard pressing and light pressing, it is alsmost like I am using a whammy bar. It does not occur on all frets. Does this indicate that some of the frets are not seated correctly (I do not know the correct term as I am an amature)? Or is it a setup issue? Can this be fixed? Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Ive got this on the Cort Punisher Bass.High up on the G but after the 12th fret i hear whammy sounds from this bass.I cant explain what the hell causes this because im really a drummer.
    Ive looked at the side of the frets & they arent seated well at all.Some are on angles & some higher then others.Im 100% sure im not the only one thats got that happening with them basses.
    Please let us know why it is.

3. If the top of the frets are high (big frets) and you press hard on a string between the frets you are actually stretching the string. The higher tension of the stretched string causes the note to ring sharp. I imagine this to be a bigger problem with lower tension strings.

The only solutions I can think of at this point are:
    1) Get higher tension strings that don't stretch as easily
    2) Get a luthier to file down (lower) the frets
    3) Have smaller frets installed.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    ^This.

By pushing down hard on the string you're bending it and increasing the pitch. I've had this problem in the past on electric guitar - a lighter touch and/or heavier strings help.

5. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Thanks for all the replies.

I will be taking my instrument to a luthier for an examination and repair. I guess you get what you pay for.

The total price for my inexpensive bass will now increase the original purchase price because of repairs. I should have simply sucked it up and payed more for a quality instrument.

I will think twice before purchasing another instrument simply for a lower price.

(And yes, I played it in the store before puchasing. I only discovered the issue when playing at home for about four hours.)