Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Fret" Problems On a Fender Jazz Bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bigoo7e, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Hello fellow TBer's,

I have a question for you guys that do setup and repair. I have a Fender 75' MIJ RI and I have noticed here lately that the frets seem to be lifting off of the fretboard and some notes buzz and ring out different that others. I think this is kinda odd, I can see gaps inbetween the frets and the fingerboard itself and the frets have seem to come off of the neck binding in a couple of places. :help:

I was told by a good friend of mine that if you soak the neck in baby/mineral oil that the oil would soak up in the neck and the frets would go back in place. Does this really work, I mean will it mess up any of the lacker finish on my neck or mess with the inlays or binding at all :confused:.

The basses previous owner ownes a newer house that was closed in... central heat and air on a concrete foundation and I live in a trailer on blocks with central heat and air... could this have anything to do with it, it changing places like that? Help please, I need some advice...

The bass is 15-16yrs old looks brand new never played much since new, the frets are still in great shape and I dont have the money for a re-fret at all.

Any suggestions guys and gals "if any" :meh:?

Thanks,
    Evan

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Man, that is a horrible suggestion. If the frets are lifting you won't be helping it by ... I can't even retype it.

At the least the bass needs to have the frets reset, then levelled and dressed. If you want it fixed for the long haul then get it refretted with a level/dress and I'd spring for a new nut and the rest of the setup while I was at it.

Yes, if your place is a lot different in humidity it could cause the problem. Either way it sounds like something that was on its way to happening anyway.

3. Thanks for the info "fretless"... :smug:

Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Evan

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Could be a number of things going on, your only choice here is to have a qualified repairperson look at it. There is no "home remedy" I can think of unfortunately.

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I'm going to suggest a method that may work if you're really strapped for cash, but please consider the disclaimer:

I'm not a professional; I'm just some guy on the internet.

1. Mask the fretboard inbetween the frets.
    2. Determine which frets are lifting by applying pressure to each end of the fret with the blunt end of a pair of pliers. Watch the opposite end of the fret to see if it moves.
    3. Apply a very small amount of crazy glue to each fret that shows movement. Apply pressure with the pliers to hold the fret in place while the glue sets.

6. Thanks... But I would rather try taking the neck off and soaking it in mineral oil and seeing that works than damage the neck. :ninja:

Anyone else have anything to add? Not everyone at once now, I have had a lot of lookers but no takers. :(

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you wanted to try this sort of approach, you'd be much better off buying a properly radiused fret pressing caul from stewart macdonald. If you tried to use pliars you'd just wreck the crown on the fret and it would also not likely bend in a uniform way, so you'd end up with a warped fret.