Fret Problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by warwickbass, Nov 11, 2003.

1. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Ok, so I decided that my warwick could use another setup... And yes i do know what im doing, or at least I think I do.

Heres whats goin on, my action was far too high, so ive been tightening my truss rod to lower the strings, which there is pleanty of room to do, and still plenty more left. So as I understand it Tightening it should cause the higher frets to buzz less and the lower frets to buzz more... eventualy, but at some point I should come accross the spot where the whole neck buzzes and then all I have to do is raise my bridge.

Heres the problem, the more I tighten my truss rod, the more the higher frets buzz particulary from about 14-23 and progressivly worse the higher it goes.

The lower frets are fine, very little buzz, just enough to give it that "bite", theres some buzz around 10-13. This is all together confusing. As best I can tell this would probably mean that I have some uneven frets, I dont have an actual stright edge to check, but I used an alen wrench and cant see any amount of unevenness in the higer frets.

Any Ides?
  2. Well, where to start...:rolleyes:

Your first problem is using the trussrod to lower your strings. This is absolutely the wrong way to achieve a lower action. The trussrod is designed to help counteract the pull of the strings so that the neck stays in a tensioned, mostly flat state - equally balanced between the pull of the strings and the opposing force of the stiffness of the neck. The real key here is knowing what the difference is between "relief" and "action"

The procedure for setting up a neck is to adjust your trussrod to the proper relief as measured between the strings and the fretboard, then adjust the saddles to the right height. Assuming the angle of the neck to the body is correct, this will achieve the desired results.

There is a great site by Gary Willis explaining all of this in detail. It's early, I've got to get to work, and I don't have time right now to find the link. But I'm sure that my peers here in the forum will come along shortly to point the way. If that's not fast enough, do a google search for Gary Willis and setup.
  3. BTW, continuing to crank that trussrod will very likely result in at least one of several things happening:

1. Broken trussrod
    2. Bottomed out adjustment nut
    3. Stripped threads on trussrod
    4. Broken neck
    5. Separated fretboard

4. Here's that link!

5. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Ok, my fault, let me rephrase... My relief was very high and I could still lower it some more. As I tighten the truss rod to lower the relief the higher frets buzz more, wich seems to contradict gary willis's "If after lowering the strings, the notes buzz only above the 12th fret, then there's too much bow in the neck. You'll need to tighten the truss rod." thats all thats buzzing is the higher frets, regardless of how much i seem to tighten the truss rod.

I wasnt trying to use the truss rod to lower my strings... its just a side effect that i worded poorly

Hopefully that clears it up a bit, if not let me know.