Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Pulling?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by liran, Dec 15, 2001.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Since, I have a new bass, I want to take the frets out of my Ibanez. I was wondering what would be the best way of doing this? And plus what epoxy you would fill the gap with. Thank you.

2. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    just rip em out with pliers! my method of choice, why would ya wanna do it a different way?! they frets might make the wood splinter a littttttle but oh well. as for epoxy, i dont know because i left the board as is.

sam

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yay I succesfully removed all of the frets. I put tape on both sides of the fret and then heated them with a hairdryer and removed them all. No chips or anything. No i just gotta put some epoxy in, let it sit over night, sand it in the morning and walla!

4. Cool man. Welcome to the "slightly outta tune" club :) It only gets better man, you'll love it.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have done that to an old no name bass i have. i just took one of those jewlers screwdrivers and stuck it between the fretboard and the fret and gave it a little tap on each side and they all came out easy. no splintering. i didnt bother to fill the slots b/c i borowed the bass and may need to return it some day so ill need to replace the frets.

6. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    YES I OFFICIALLY HAVE A FRETLESS NOW! All I have to do now is put a polyurethane finish on the neck. It sounds just like an acoustic upright. This is awesome, fretlesses are great! And it only took me 3 hours!

7. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I think I want to defret my four stringer. I've been thikning a while about it. I'm still not quite sure what I want to do. It is my first bass, and I don't know if I'd regret it or not. I want to, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk messing it up or not liking it... I dunno... :(

8. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I wouldn't do it unless you have another bass with you. Because, you don't wanna risk ruining it and not having a bass. Do it on a really cheapo bass first.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Naw, the "slightly outta tune" club is what fretted players are in.;)

10. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Yes, I have another bass. Since I got my BTB405 I've been considering it. The four stringer is a Peavey Milestone III. Not a horrible loss if I stuff it up... but it does have some sentimental value to me. I'm undecided... one day I'll probably do it, though :cool:

11. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I say go for it, I had a LOT! of sentimental connection with my Ibanez, but I just sad the hell with it and did it, and now im extremely satisfied. It's actually drawn me closer to it. Go for it, you won't regret it. Just make sure you know what your doing. It's easier then you think!

12. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It seems everyone's been defretting lately.

I just did the process on my Jay Turser JTB 440 (it's a cheapo stingray copy). I got all the frets out in about 20 minutes by kinda chizzling them out with a hammer and screwdriver, then I sanded the whole neck down a few layers with coarse sandpaper. Tomorrow I'm going to Home Depot to get some wood filler (or epoxy) and some polyurethane to finish it off.

And then I'll be in the former-tempered-scale club.

13. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Maybe so, just maybe. You sure are temptin' me... :p

I do believe I'll try it. I've read up on it, still aprehensive about being able to do it right, but I think I should just trust myself. I've read up on it a lot; read lots of techniques.

I've played a fretless before, and I like it. I'm really tempted into doing it. Could bring me closer to it again. I might just do it someday soon :)

14. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
  15. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    nicely said! i love fretless bass.

16. hey thanks for the link!

i was gonna take it to a guitar repair shop and have them do it, but now i think i'm gonna be brave and try it myself. i'll probably be more satisfied with it that way.

17. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I say u take out only half the frets. Not half of the total, just half of each one.:D

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Right on, Jeff!

19. I too am considering this with my Ibanez GSR200..I just picked up a BTB 405 this week and see no use now in going back to the 4..but I played a fretless and loved it..I tihnk I might just try it

20. OK so now really think I am gonna do this..I just read through that website and listened to some of it..love the sound. Anyone know of any epoxys or fillers I can use the will turn out white to mark the lines?