Fret Removal Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spanky, May 1, 2004.

1. I recently saw a Fender J Bass at Guitar Center, (used) for sale...someone had actually removed the frets and lightly filled in the lines. It looked like very carefull work and the bass played beatifully. Is this something you can do to any fretted bass if one wanted to convert it? And is there anything special I should know before attempting it?
    Thanks in advance.....
  2. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Yes, if your fingerboard has a finish on it (like a Rickenbacker and perhaps maple figerboards but don't hold me to that) it will need to be removed first. Otherwise, you will pull up little bits of wood with the fret.

I have heard of people filling in the lines with crazy glue. Personally, it seems such a hassle that I think I would rather drop the money for a fretless neck.

3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I wouldn't do it to a bass unless it was a project, but it's not too hard to do. gotta be extra careful when you pull out the frets to not take part of the fretboard with it. I filled with wood filler to give it very slight lines. it's a project for someone with patience (and a neck they aren't overly attached to ;) )
  4. rddog

May 30, 2003
    Park City, UT
  5. Thanks for the input, Im thinking of buying an old J bass for cheap and doing the job myself, and Im convinced I can do it. Im very good with woodworking and guitar "setups", I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing some contra-indication for doing it this way. So, sounds to me like it all comes down to neck-finish and nut slots. Can anyone tell me just how low the slots in the nut need to be filed? Oh...and what kind of strings would everyone recommend I use when its done?