Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret saw alternative

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Sep 11, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi, I'm installing frets which require a deeper slot in the existing slots. I don't have the time to buy a luthiers fret saw, are there any handsaws on the market which are thin enough to do this job!. I'm pulling my hair out, thanks. I don't want to make the existing fret slots any wider, just deeper.

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Stewart macdonald has some nice luthier's saws on their site for not a lot of dough. . . (right tool for the job, and all)

BUT. . . If you want to try another way, go to a hobby shop and look for a saw that is set at about 20 thousandths.

If you are crafty, you can drill a couple of holes in the saw, and attach a piece of square plexiglass to control the depth of your cut. Go slow, and you should be alright.
    LM

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I use one of these I find that once you get used to using it it is much easier to use than the stewmac saw.

4. Like Skorzen said, the Japanese saws are perfect replacements for fret saws. Home Depot now has a line of handsaws that have this kind of blade but with a more modern grip. These are pull saws so it's easy to start. They are also SHARP!!! I put a depth stop on mine to keep it from slicing right through with one pull!

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I also just saw that LMI now carries a Japanese saw that has .023" kerf :hyper: It's not listed under the fretting tools though, look under knives and saws. It is a little bit pricey though :meh: