Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret saw purchasing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Feb 19, 2006.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Do you luthiers use anything to saw your fret slots besides the hand saw that stewmac sells. i searched for 'fretsaw' on the net and i got a bunch of those jewelers saws. if you guys have any tricks, please inform me. i don't want to use a table saw blade, and would rather do it by hand.

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Then hand fret saw it is. Stewmac also sells a miter box to go with it, along with fret templates.

3. Well, the lengths that some go to remarketing or renaming tools is laughable. A gent's or japanese (pull or back saw whatever) will do the job nicely and may even save you some money not having the word "fret" in the title of the product (not saying that the mitre box and saw that is sold isn't convenient or useful)... There is plenty of evidence that thousands of instruments were made prior to the advent of the so called "fret" saw... It's all woodwork, not a dark art :). Just do your research to make sure you know what you're buying (eg. blade thickness, kerf, TPI, strength and so on).

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, try and find a japanese pull-saw with the same kerf as the Stew Mac blade. I bought the Stew Mac blade and I hated it. I finally smashed it to pieces a couple of months ago I hated it so much.

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Okay I found numerous places with pull saw with a net search, but none of them list the kerf which should be 0.023 inch. they all only list TPI. darn with all this frustration, im just gonna buy a LMI fret saw, thanks anyways guys.

6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I believe Lee Valley gives you kerf information on thier Japanese pull saws. Actually I just love walking around their store and drooling. I should just have my work forward my paycheques to Mr. Lee.

-Nate

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I just received my Lee Valley catologues the other day. Boy do they carry some nice stuff.

8. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I don't do business with Canada, sorry. Takes too darn long.

9. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I bought a bunch of stuff from them when I first put together my shop, I don't think any of it shipped from Canada.

10. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Suit yourself. I drive by the main store (the first one in existence as well as their warehouse and manufacturing facilities (I believe Veritas tools are largely made in house)) every day heading to and from work. Any time I walk in there it's all I can do to keep myself from dropping a few hundred bucks. So far I've been lucky and gotten away with smaller purchases but I don't know how long my resolve can hold out.

-Nate

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I managed to find a dozuki (japanese pull saw) that works with my fretwire. I actually brought a fret with me to the store, and tried out the various saws they had there. If there's some kind of woodworking store around where you live, you might be able to pull the same thing off.
    I don't know what kerf size it is, but it works, and it cuts waaaaaaaaaaay faster than regular dovetail saws (which is basically what StewMac sells).

12. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I bought this saw for installing wood floors. It's used for trimming door casings to allow room for the flooring. The handle can be reversed for left hand, right hand offset. It reads 15TPI/16pnt.
    My micrometer is not here so I do not know the kerf but it is fine. 20 bucks at the lacal hardware store.:D
    [​IMG][​IMG]