fret size.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 28, 2005.

1. a Fender says it has 20 Jumbo frets. "jumbo as in what? Wouldnt all frets for all 34" scaled basses be the same length? I mean, wouldnt it change the note if the frets were smaller?

What does Jumbo mean?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. ahh i see! i thought it was the width of the fingerboard between frets... didnt seem to make sense...

Can I ask what difference a wider or a taller fret would makein playability/sound/buzz or generally what it is supposed to change?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, larger frets last much longer. Conversely, smaller frets wear quicker, but offer better intonation.
  5. question... If the frets were crowned properly, would the intonation be the same?
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In theory, I believe so. But then why does Lee Sklar use mandolin frets? :confused:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY's easier/less finger movement, lower string height(less buzzing), less relief in neck=faster playing. Also, they're supposed to give a "woodier" sound since there's more more string contact against the fretboard & less metal contact involved with the fret(semi-fretless).

ALL IMHO & experiences...

8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IME, smaller fretwire will only change how close your fingers feel to the fretboard when fretting a note, which typically reduces the pressure players apply to the string when fretting. Fretwire size has NOTHING to do with fretbuzz, since buzzing depends on (among other things) how level the frets are, in relation to one another. Fretwire size also has nothing to do with "woodier" sound, because strings do NOT come in contact with the wood in a fingerboard on a fretted bass. If they do, you need to have your frets replaced or you need a lighter touch with your left hand (right hand if you're lefty).

Next time you fret a note on your bass, take a look at how close the string comes to the fretboard without actually touching the board.;)

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yeah, yeah, yeah,...blah blah blah...

AS said previously: "IMHO & experience"

I HAVE tried/owned MANY different bass' & fret sizes over the years. There IS a BIG difference in string height in correspondence to fret height(ie: Jumbo vs Banjo). A smaller/lower fret WILL sit closer to a fretboard allowing a lower string height with of course the fret's all being dressed properly.

Also, LESS metal is imbedded into the fretboard due to the smaller fret size(IIRC), hence giving it a slightly more dampened tone(like a fretless) compared to a brighter tone with more metal contact due to the larger fret. Warwick says a bigger fret gives a "woodier" tone, I disagree in my previous applications & comparisions.

I understand your "opinion" & reasons, but, all you say does not lie 100% true, please try & re-evaluate mine...

10. It's about the feel. Lee like many bassists, plays right on top of the frets and likes to feel that connection to the fretboard. On the otherhand jumbo frets don't require the same amount of precision, but you lose that connection.

It's a trade-off...a playing style preference.
  11. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im going to agree with Devilman here with my own experiences playing a bass with Banjo frets. It does sound different, I dont know if its more woody or whatever, but it does allow you to sound more like a fretless than basses with bigger frets. Slides as well are very easy and controlled and sound smoother to me on my bass with smaller frets.