1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fret slotting/scale length

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Brendan, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is a question that's been rattling around my head for a while.

If something a "minor" as a poor fret crowing can result in notes being out of tune, how do you slot your fretboards accurately? A good fret job is a different task entirely, but I'm asking about the physical location of the frets, and how you make them accurate.

Templates? If so, how do you do "odd" scales, like a Rick, 33.25" or a 35.5"?

Measuring twice, cutting once? Due to the nature of the beast, a fretted instrument isn't going to be "perfectly" in tune on every note (but damn close), but how do you measure that accurately? Micrometer?

Every time I think about building a bass, this is probably the only thing that ever really discourages me. How do you slot the frets for accurate intonation?

Thanks

2. A poorly crowned fret can be 1~2 mm out of place depending on the fret type. I personally use this program called wfret that prints a template that I tape to the blank and then slot using a square and stewmac fretting saw. wfret is pretty accurate (I have measured every single position using a 1/64" rule) and it controls the printer head directly with printer commands, so you needn't worrry about windows driver scaling the output.

3. ftp://mimf.com/pub/wfret.zip

That's a link to wfret. Thanks for telling me about that Wilser! I wasn't too happy with the prospect of buying preslotted boards from LMI, they don't have the woods that I really wanted.

4. I use a stewmac Dual Fretscale Template in a SM Fret Slotting Mitre box with their fret saw or I can use the mitre box with a computer printed pattern affixed to the fretboard.