Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fret too high?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have an acoustic guitar that buzzes when I fret the "G" on the high "E" string. This is the only fretting that causes this. The neck appears straight. So I am guessing the fourth fret is just a bit high. Is it a big deal to tap it in more or file it down a touch? Do you think I should just take it to Sam Ash and let their tech do it?

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    if your sure its a high frett(i cant see the actual bass)try to file it down a tad,use just the weight of the file and i slight amount of pressure and check it often as not to overdue it:bassist:

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Gabu, make sure the third fret doesn't have a notch worn in it causing the string to set low on the third fret.

It is possible that the fourth fret is high but it's kind of unlikely since only one string is causing a problem. Usually a high fret will cause more than one string to buzz.

As wierd as it may sound, I would change the high E string just on GP. I've seen bad strings do some strange things.

In the event that you do require some fret dressing I would strongly recommend that you let an experienced repair person do any filing. After the fret(s) are brought to the correct height, they will need to be recrowned which takes a special file. If the recrowning is not done, the intonation on the frets that are flat will be affected to some degree.

Hope this is some help to you.

Pkr2