Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Wear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jun 5, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm guessing the only way to fix it is to get a re fret, and god help me,,,, how much does that run? The frets will last a while longer, i'm just getting some buzz already from some bad frets. not REAL Bad, but something that can be an issue down the road. on my new,,,,used,,ATK.(that i love)

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Although it is the frets that buzz, many things can cause them to buzz: And replacing them won't necessarily fix that! If you do indeed need some fret work done, most frets can be leveled before they are replaced which should be considerably cheaper than replacing the frets.:cool:

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks, i already tryed lifting the saddles really high, still some fret buzz, i can tell wich ones are buzzing. They are also pretty worn to, so i guess i WOULD need a re fret?

4. Whats the relief like in the neck?

:D:D

Merls

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get the neck adjusted.

Id venture to say that 9 out of 10 times its a neck problem.

Its not a hard thing to do if you know how, but if you dont, you could only cause more harm than good. Believe me please.

Peace
    Nick

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Nope, not a neck problem, truss-me! ha ha ha......ugh.. i'll shoot myself for that later. Anyway, the neck is pretty strait. I checked it before i bought it,, duh, two days ago. Relief is fine. It's just one or two frets buzzing slighty, I was just wondering if i had to get a re-fret, unti lsomeone mentioned leveling, witch tottaly slipped my mind. Thanks bizzaro

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    :D

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I guess its that 1 out of 10 times where it isnt a neck thing!

Peace
    Nick

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Pollybass, Before you take it in for repairs, be sure to check that the strings haven't became dented from being bumped into the frets.

Just look very closely at the string(s) at the point of contact where they cross the fret.

Better still, just replace the string and see if the problem goes away. You can even use an old string to check it.

If you do have fret wear that's bad enough to cause a buzz it's easy to see. There will be a slight "notch" worn into the crown of the fret. Use a good light and sight along the fret, looking for the wear where the string crosses the fret.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Pkr2

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Josh and pkr2 are right on. It is easy to jump to conclusions and hope that will solve the problem. When it doesn't fix the "problem" it is a big disapointment, and can be expensive. Make sure you eliminate all adjustable variables first. Check the frets for groves like pkr2 stated. It should be pretty obvious. Also frets can come loose, raise themselves, and buzz. Especially on lower end basses that are mass produced. I would like to know what the diagnosis is when you get it ironed out.;)

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yup. What he said.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Geez, ive been seting up my basses for 3 years now, cut me some slack guys. Thats why i know it's not a neck problem. I'll change the strings, as i didnt know this would cause fret buzz, (Still learning) But i'm pretty sure thats not it.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The frets are in need of work. Thanks, just need a leveling i suppose.

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    My string height is set pretty high 'cause of a buzz I have around the 15th fret. I'm pretty sure it's a high fret.

PKR2 I took your advice about the light an noticed wear on all my frets.

My bass is about 13 years old. Is it time to do something about the frets?

15. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It sounds like you do need some fret work, TD.

Since you are pretty sure that you have a high fret, the repair person can take care of that at the same time as the fret level job.

A fret level job should include a set-up. I STRONGLY advise against monkying with the frets at home. It's the most precision repair that can be done to the instrument.

Good luck.

Pkr2